OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Welcome to OHDSI! - Please introduce yourself

Hello everyone. I’m Maria Tereza Fernandes Abrahao. By way of introduction, I am a health scientist and have been working for over 25 years in the area of systems and database development.
I have a doctorate from the University of São Paulo Medical School, In my doctoral project, I developed a common data model and performed clinical data analysis for a cardiovascular disease referral hospital in Sao Paulo. I used free software tools and performed data analysis in R. My work was contemporary with the development of OHDSI, and I have been following the community ever since.
I am currently committed to education and publicity for OHDSI in Brazil. I would like to know how I can promote OHDSI and the tools in a participatory way with the community. I would like to start an OHDSI Brazil participatory group.

Some links to know my work:
thesis: https://teses.usp.br/teses/disponiveis/5/5131/tde-04082016-160129/pt-br.php
Article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S138650561730076X
short course: https://sol.sbc.org.br/livros/index.php/sbc/catalog/download/29/94/244-1?inline=1
CV: http://lattes.cnpq.br/2225365653431535

Hello, I am Sanish Davis a CR Professional working with J&J in India and also the General Secretary of Indian Society for Clinical Research (ISCR). ISCR was Launched in June 2005 as a professional association of all stakeholder groups involved in Clinical Research. It is a registered society with a charter to represent interests of the Clinical Research community. It’s mission is to Inspire and align diverse stakeholders to shape and foster an environment facilitating ethical and responsible clinical research for better patient outcomes. ISCR members belong to diverse groups - Institutions/Companies involved in Clinical Research (AMOs),Individual members from the Clinical Research industry,Investigators and site staff,Members of Ethics Committees,Others interested and trained in Clinical Research. ISCR works through councils and chapters. we have 7 councils and 3 chapters (e.g. Investigator, training, regulatory, zonal chapters etc.). The newest council is Real World Evidence (RWE) council. I am working as the RWE council coordinator till formal elections occur and I would like to check if OHDSI would like to partner with ISCR as a platform for RWE in India. This will be mutually beneficial for both the organizations. ISCR will gain through knowledge philanthropy from OHSDI and OHSDI will be able to grow in this important area of the world.

Hi All,
My name is Ken Cottrell; I’ve been on your forum email list for several months but this is the first time I’ve introduced myself. I have done some independent contract work with Common Data Model on Postgres, to integrate this with clinical trial repositories.

Currently I am doing some research to implement CDM healthcare code terminology mapping on an in-memory, distributed database. I’m hoping to use the Apache Ignite database (https://ignite.apache.org/) to improve the throughput for terminology mapping and code crosswalk processes for payers and providers. I look forward to hearing more from all of you.

Hi, I am David. I have worked in multiple domains in health care including, patient care, clinical research operations, research ethics (IRB world as a Scientific IRB member and IRB Board Manager in the US), and currently, in pharmacovigilance. I would love to collaborate with someone looking for a medical review of their data for research purposes. I am interested in expanding my skills in both patient- and population level data analysis.

Welcome @ayangp, @Bill_Johns, @Amawer, @Tereza_Abrahao, @pmadril, @Sanish, @Ken and @dprakash! It’s great to see so many newcomers!

A great way to get started in the community is to join our weekly community calls which take place every Tuesday at 12pm ET. If you’d like to join today’s meeting, the details to join are here: OHDSI Community Call - 12Nov2019

Thank you Maura! I need to adjust my schedule to make this call, but look forward to joining it in the near future

Hi, I’m Ruth Etzioni from Fred Hutch Cancer Center in Seattle and the Knight Cancer Institute in Portland. I am a statistician and population scientist focusing on cancer research. I grew up in South Africa where a confluence of events led me to study statistics, eventually graduating with a statistics PhD from Carnegie-Mellon University. In my research I use statistical and simulation models to address evidence gaps that inevitably arise in medical decision making and cancer policy development. As an PI of the Cancer Intervention and Surveillance Network I focus mainly on prostate cancer but I also have projects in breast cancer and melanoma. I also teach a course on organic statistics for large public healthcare databases to graduate students in the school of public health at the University of Washington (what is “organic statistics?” please free free to ask! I am a strong believer in the value of community and a culture of generosity. I look forward to learning more about OHDSI and developing some great collaborative projects in cancer population sciences.

Hello everyone,

My name is Yahui Tian, I am a data scientist and statistician in Boehringer Ingelheim, Health Informatics and Analytics (HIA) Asia team (i.e., China and Japan). My work experience and interest mainly focus on innovative workstreams that leverage advanced analytics (e.g., network medicine/machine learning/deep learning) to facilitate clinical drug development and/or other advancements in the life cycle of drug development in BI, it includes Real World Evidence studies using claims, EHR data etc.; development of digital device for screening/diagnosis of certain diseases and other digitalization activities which benefit patients and physicians. Our team is interested in the collaborations with universities, research institutes and hospitals to explore cutting-edge methodologies, evaluate healthcare related applications and improve clinical practice. For my PhD I’m working on the data analysis of network-structured data, specifically constructing and exploring (clustering, classifying, etc…) networks from different domains through interdisciplinary collaborations, it also facilitates the explorations in my current work with more systematic understandings in gen, disease, drug and epidemics levels.

I’d like to help the OHDSI community by contributing to design and implementation of data science models and visualization which improve healthcare development and meet BI needs.

When not working, I like to play piano, travel with my family, friends, and explore museums.

So glad to join OHDSI and look forward to conversations.

, please.

Organic statistics happens when an intuitive and mechanistic understanding of statistical tools grows inside you so that you don’t ever feel like you are using a recipe. Happy to elaborate. thanks for asking!

Hi! I’m Doug Manuel ORCID iD icon I’m a distinguished professor at the University of Ottawa. I hold positions at Statistics Canada and ICES. See video. I’ve been working with real-world health data for over 20 years, mostly in Canada.

We’ve got a few initiatives in Canada to increase the use and access of health data that seem well-aligned to OHDSI. There is a newly announced National Data Platform to “catalyze more multi-jurisdictional research”. (article in CMAJ - not open access) There is also the International Population Data Linkage Network (IPDLN) that seeks to connect similar initiatives. IPDLN supports a journal.

I have a personal interest in open science and open software to improve research using routinely collected health data. OHDSI is a fantastic example.

Hi everybody,

I am PhD. Catalina Martínez Costa, working in the past at the Medical University of Graz in Austria and recently at the University of Murcia in Spain. My research area focuses mainly on healthcare information representation, semantic interoperability and biomedical terminologies / ontologies. Currently I lead the work regarding data harmonization and integration in the Precise4Q H2020 project (https://precise4q.eu). The project faces two main challenges: (1) building predictive models to provide patients with personalized interventions at the four stroke phases: prevention, acute treatment, rehabilitation, reintegration; and (2) the harmonization and integration of semantically and syntactically heterogeneous datasets in 6 different languages (including free text). We do not want to implement an isolated solution and thus besides our data representation we would like to provide a mapping to the OMOP CDM. The project, as I mentioned, has stroke as clinical focus. Could you advise me on how we can learn from the community and how we could contribute to it?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Catalina,
Happy to connect with you. I also have a background of ontology development, and thinking along the similar idea with ontology based data models. Specifically, leveraging OMOP for medical device area. There are a lot of medical devices used for stroke prevention or treatment. I am also new to the OHDSI community. I’d like to join you to see how you will map to the OMOP CDM.
Thanks,
Asiyah

1 Like

@cmc:

Welcome to the family.

Here is what you can do:

1 Like

Hello, everyone, my name is Jing Yuan, I am a faculty member at Rutgers University. My background is health outcomes research. I am interested in using real-world data evaluating clinical and economic outcomes of new drugs and technologies. I look forward for our collaborations.

Hello everyone.
I am a volunteer professional in a health unit in Marília, state of São Paulo, Brazil.
We have poorly structured data from patients from over 80 municipalities.
We aim to structure this data, generating statistics that allow us to improve service queues, as well as using machine learning algorithms to improve the health situation in our region.
I hope to actively collaborate with the community!

Hi Everyone! I am a front-end developer from data4life. Our team has been involved in developing an analytical tool which focuses on cohort creation and visualizations to provide medical insights. Recently, we have started on exploring OMOP CDM and specifically interested in the usage of Atlas tool.

We are very much eager to contribute to the tool by proposing some enhancements on the User Experience (UX) aspect which I believe will add some value to the users and the tool as well. :smile:

Looking forward to hear from you all.

Hello all! I am a postdoc research fellow in the Dept of Epi at Columbia University, and my clinical background is as a pediatric oncology nurse practitioner (still practicing). I am very interested in data quality and standardization for oncology-specific concepts/terms, and my dissertation partially focused on the challenges in data quality around cancer-related symptoms for children, adolescents and young adults receiving cancer treatment (am working on publishing the manuscript). My current research is focusing on opioid prescribing for post-operative pain in children/AYA with cancer.

I’m interested in getting more involved in EHR abstraction, specifically within the oncology working group @rimma @shilparatwani @Andrew @Michael and specifically around pediatric/AYA cancers. I look forward to hearing more, and was really excited to hear yesterday’s presentation and future directions!

Hi Melissa,

I am a postdoctoral scientist in biomedical informatics at Columbia University and would be happy to help you anytime!

Best,
Matt

Thanks Matt–that would be great! I am meeting with Ray next week, and perhaps we can set up a time to talk after that? Looking forward to meeting/working with you!

t