I want to start the OHDSI Study Nurture Committee, as we’ve discussed about this in the OHDSI Steering Meeting.
- @schuemie described the reason why OHDSI needs the Study Nurture Committee nicely. Briefly, we are aware that it is very hard to complete the OHDSI study, though it’s very easy to start.
What is the roles of the OHDSI Study Nurture Committee?
The OHDSI Study Nurture Committee will do
Help to complete the OHDSI study
- Mentors in Study Nurture Committee will not help researchers to start OHDSI studies. Rather, we’ll train and guide people to complete OHDSI studies.
- Mentors will help people to use OHDSI tools appropriately.
- Mentors will provide a guideline of the OHDSI study for better reproducibility and reliability
- Mentors will help people to find data partners for OHDSI network studies.
Prevent redundant OHDSI studies
- As @schuemie pointed out, multiple groups are aiming to conduct the OHDSI study on the same research question in isolation.
- The Study Nurture Committee does not have any authority to regulate or organize multiple research projects. This is why the name of the committee is the OHDSI Study Nurture Committee, not the OHDSI Study Committee. But researchers can share their projects and experiences through the Study Committee, which might be helpful to prevent duplicated studies and facilitate collaborative researches.
How does the OHDSI Study Nurture Committee work?
- A researcher who needs help can apply to the Committee as a Mentee through personal message or mail to me.
- A committee meeting will be held on the request of mentees. Currently, this committee is led by me and I am usually available from 6 PM EST to 9 AM EST (7 AM ~ 10 PM Korean Time).
- Currently, this meeting is led by me and @schuemie. We’re recruiting the volunteers for Mentors. If you’re interested in this effort, please let me know!
What should researchers prepare to be a Mentee?
- Again, this committee will help to complete the study, not to start the study.
- A researcher should prepare a protocol of the study. A simple and brief one would be fine.
- A researcher should prepare basic R / SQL code or R package generated by ATLAS to apply as a Mentee.
- A researcher should be accessible to one or more CDM DBs. Basically, it’s possible to create and conduct an OHDSI study without accessible DB, but it’s not easy to refine the protocol and complete the study without accessible data.
- A researcher should have basic skill for R and git.
If you have any question or comment, please write it down on this thread.