OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Phenotype Phebrurary 2023 – P9 – ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction

Hi y’all,

I am currently a research and clinical cardiology fellow. Prior to this, I completed internal medicine residency and a fellowship and graduate school training in biomedical informatics where I was introduced to the wonderful world of OMOP (the VA, Vanderbilt, and the All of Us research program) and the OHDSI community. As one can imagine based on these experiences, I am interested in conducting large scale analyses for different clinical (often cardiology or related) conditions. For Phenotype Phebruary, I was interested in phenotyping acute ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI). This is one of those conditions where “time is money muscle,” i.e. it warrants urgent evaluation and management to save heart muscle.

Accurate and scalable identification of STEMI has many benefits. These include allowing us to recognize the prevalence of this condition, which can inform resource allocation, campaigns to improve heart attack recognition, cardiovascular health and risk factor modification, etc. Additionally, guidelines stipulate a “door-to-balloon” time metric, and accurate phenotyping may allow us to study the quality of care delivery, identify gaps/lapses in care or disparities in care delivery, etc.

In a systematic review of computable phenotypes for patients with Acute MI (includes STEMI, NSTEMI), Rubbo et al. find that the vast majority rely on structured data, in particular ICD codes (as shown in the figure below). [^rubbo] More recently, Somani et al. find improved PPV by combining keyword search of discharge summaries and electrocardiogram (ECG) readings. Yet, this was a single-site study and the generalizability of this approach remains to be seen.

Given the acuity and “need for speed” in treating acute STEMI cases, I feel that there is significant opportunity to use time and medications/interventions routinely used to inform the computable acute STEMI phenotype.

[^rubbo]: Rubbo B, Fitzpatrick NK, Denaxas S, et al. Use of electronic health records to ascertain, validate and phenotype acute myocardial infarction: A systematic review and recommendations. International Journal of Cardiology. 2015;187:705-711. doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2015.03.075

In Phenotype Phebruary 2022 there was amazing work on the more broad Acute Myocardial Infarction phenotypes, inclusive of STEMI, NSTEMI, and chronic angina (See topic here). On discussion with @Gowtham_Rao, we decided to focus on STEMI this time around. I encourage readers to see the evaluation of the Acute MI phenotypes from the 2022 Phenotype Phebruary available here.

Clinical Description

Overview

The 4th Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction (UDMI) defines acute ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) as requiring a rise and/or fall of cardiac troponin (cTn) values (with at least 1 value > 99th percentile) and clinical evidence of ischemia (ie, symptoms, ECG changes, supportive ECG or other imaging findings, or evidence of coronary thrombus). The underlying etiology is plaque disruption with coronary atherothrombosis. [^udmi] [^lancet]

In some camps, they prefer the term acute coronary occlusion myocardial infarction (OMI). [^omi] Those who prefer OMI point out that some patients with acute coronary artery occlusion and require urgent reperfusion therapy fail to meet traditional STEMI electrocardiogram (ECG) criteria (“STEMI-negative OMI”).

[^omi]: Pendell Meyers H, Bracey A, Lee D, et al. Accuracy of OMI ECG findings versus STEMI criteria for diagnosis of acute coronary occlusion myocardial infarction. IJC Heart & Vasculature. 2021;33:100767. doi:10.1016/j.ijcha.2021.100767
[^lancet]: Bergmark, B. A., Mathenge, N., Merlini, P. A., Lawrence-Wright, M. B., & Giugliano, R. P. (2022). Acute coronary syndromes. The Lancet, 399(10332), 1347–1358. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)02391-6
[^udmi]: Thygesen K, Alpert JS, Jaffe AS, et al. Fourth Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction (2018). Circulation. 2018;138(20). doi:10.1161/cir.0000000000000617

Assessment

• History and physical, including family history of early heart disease
  • cardiac troponin
    • considered positive if > 99th percentile upper reference limit
  • ECG
    • STEMI criteria: new ST-elevation at the J-point in 2 contiguous leads with the cut-point: ≥1 mm in all leads other than leads V2–V3 where the following cut-points apply: ≥2 mm in men ≥40 years; ≥2.5 mm in men <40 years, or ≥1.5 mm in women regardless of age

As above, acute STEMI is defined by an elevated troponin lab value and evidence of clinical ischemia. Given the acuity of this condition, patients are urgently evaluated and treated. Prompt evaluation often entails work-up with a troponin lab value with a cutoff of > 99th percentile of the upper reference limit considered positive. An ECG often will show ST-elevation, but other STEMI equivalent ECG findings may also be seen. [^stemi-equiv] Classic symptoms concerning for an acute STEMI include angina (chest pain/pressure) +/- radiation to the arms/shoulders and/or neck/jaw. Symptoms may also include fatigue, dyspnea, lightheadedness, diaphoresis and nausea. Importantly, some patients may present with “silent MIs,” which is more commonly seen among women, diabetic, and post-op patients.

[^stemi-equiv]: Asatryan B, Vaisnora L, Manavifar N. Electrocardiographic Diagnosis of Life-Threatening STEMI Equivalents. JACC: Case Reports. 2019;1(4):666-668. doi:10.1016/j.jaccas.2019.10.030

Plan

• Cardiac catheterization, often involving stent placement
  • Dual antiplatelet therapy (DAPT)
    • Aspirin + either one of the following: Clopidogrel, Prasugrel, Ticagrelor
      • Some patients may also receive IV cangrelor
    • loading dose, followed by maintenance dose
    • recommended for 12 months following acute coronary syndrome in most patients
  • High-intensity statin
  • Beta-blocker
    • often initiated within 24 hrs absent any contraindications
  • +/- ACE inhibitor/ARB
  • +/- aldosterone antagonist
  • Risk factor stratification and modification, e.g. smoking cessation, diabetes control, etc.
  • Echocardiogram
  • Referral to cardiac rehabilitation program

The priority with patients presenting with an acute STEMI is revascularization. When there is enough degree of suspicion for STEMI, patients are immediately treated with aspirin (325 mg or 162 mg are common doses used) as the evaluation (labs, ECG) are underway. They will also be treated with a loading dose of a P2Y12 inhbitor. The cardiac catheterization lab is activated and the patient is taken for urgent revascularization, ideally by percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI).

Post-PCI, patients are often cared for in the intensive care unit. Some patients may require vasopressor or inotropic medications or mechanical circulatory support devices. Patients will be prescribed a high-intensity statin and DAPT (often continued for at least 12 months). A beta-blocker is also often started within 24 hours. They will also undergo further evaluation with echocardiogram and risk factor stratification. Patients should be referred to cardiac rehabilitation prior to discharge.

STEMI Phenotyping

Published Approaches

• STEMI Diagnosis codes [^somani] [^coloma] [^patel]

• ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes: 410, 410.21, 410.31, 410.41, 410.01, 410.11, 410.51, 410.61, 410.81, 410.91

• ICD-10 codes: I21, I21.11, I21.19, I21.21, I21.01, I21.02, I21.09, I21.29, I21.3

• (If available) Keyword search: clinical notes for ‘STEMI’ and related keywords [^somani]

• Looked exclusively at discharge summaries and used the following “regular expression criteria: case-insensitive STEMI or case-insensitive ST*elevat or case-insensitive ST*segment, where * is a wild-card character that can take on any value.”
  • (If available) Keyword search: ECG readings [^somani]

• Keywords (case-insensitive): ‘STEMI’, ‘ACUTE MI’

MORE TO COME!

[^somani]: Somani S, Yoffie S, Teng S, et al. Development and validation of techniques for phenotyping ST-elevation myocardial infarction encounters from electronic health records. JAMIA Open. 2021;4(3). doi:10.1093/jamiaopen/ooab068
[^coloma]: Coloma PM, Valkhoff VE, Mazzaglia G, et al. Identification of acute myocardial infarction from electronic healthcare records using different disease coding systems: a validation study in three European countries. BMJ Open. 2013;3(6):e002862. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2013-002862
[^patel]: Patel AB, Quan H, Welsh RC, et al. Validity and utility of ICD-10 administrative health data for identifying ST- and non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction based on physician chart review. CMAJ Open. 2015;3(4):E413-E418. doi:10.9778/cmajo.20150060

Opportunities

Thoughts on possible phenotyping pportunities using structured data not previously addressed or with limited use:

• Timing from encounter start to aspirin, ECG, loading dose of P2Y12 inhibitor, cath lab, stent (everything should happen very quickly with a STEMI)
  • Intervention (PCI, stent): procedure codes and device codes
    • Related procedure codes (includes left heart catheterization; exclude if only right heart catheterization)
    • Related stent device codes: Child concepts of ‘Coronary artery stent’ should do the trick
  • ICU stay after cath could also tip the probability in favor of a STEMI as well

Next Steps

We will continue to phun and work to develop the cohort definitions and look forward to perform an OHDSI network evaluation :rocket:. Happy phenotyping!

1 Like

Recording here https://youtu.be/s80ouz4PN9g

Hi all!

My name is Emir, and I’m currently a first-year master’s student in health informatics at Hopkins. I have a clinical background, I worked as a general practitioner in Indonesia prior to my master’s.

Although I’m not sure how I can help, I’m very interested in joining the Phenotype Phebruary effort for STEMI.

How can I join you guys? Will there be other meetings?

Thank you!

hi @emirsyailendra would you like to be a peer reviewer for this phenotype ? I will add you to the next call

Sure, sounds great!

I’m unsure how to review a phenotype, but I will gladly learn how to do that.

Are there any references or documented videos I could see on how to review a phenotype?

Thanks @Azza_Shoaibi

hey Emir,

Apologies on the delayed response here.
Happy to add you to our calls that @mirza_khan , @mbrand and I are having on the cohort development and evaluations.
We just finished our internal cohort development and will be posting a more descriptive review of the results as well as how we can interpret them.

Feel free to DM me your email and will loop you in on our next call (Thursday)

chat soon

Hi @emirsyailendra,

Let me update you quickly, @mirza_khan had initially created 5 versions of phenotypes, which we helped build out in ATLAS, using his logic.

Cohort/phenotype 1: [OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Definition 1a STEMI Dx codes
People may enter the cohort when observing any of the following:

• condition occurrence of ‘STEMI Concept Set’ for the first time in the person’s history, starting on or after January 1, 2016.
    Limit cohort entry events to the earliest event per person.

Inclusion Criteria

1. age ≥ 18 yo: Limit to patients age 18 and older
    Entry events with the following event criteria: who are >= 18 years old.

Cohort Exit: The person exits the cohort at the end of continuous observation.

Cohort/phenotype 2: [OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Definition 1b STEMI ECG Trop Dx codes

1. measurements of ‘Troponin Measurements’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.
  2. measurements of ‘ECG Obtained’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.
  3. procedure occurrences of ‘ECG Obtained’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.
  4. measurements of ‘ECG Obtained’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.

Inclusion Criteria

2. STEMI ICD Code
    Entry events having at least 1 condition occurrence of ‘STEMI Concept Set’ for the first time in the person’s history, starting between 1 days before and 7 days after cohort entry start date; at same visit as cohort entry.

Cohort/phenotype 3: [OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Definition 2 UDMI definition

1. visit occurrences of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] ED visit’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.
  2. observations of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] ED visit’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.
  3. measurements of ‘Troponin Measurements’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.
  4. measurements of ‘ST elevation (on ECG)’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.

Inclusion Criteria

2. Elevated Troponin level: elevated Trop observed, or elevated by value cutoff
    Entry events with any of the following criteria:
  • having at least 1 condition occurrence of ‘Elevated Troponin Condition’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  • having at least 1 measurement of ‘High sensitivity Troponin I (hs-cTnI) Measurements’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period; who are male; numeric value > 34; unit: “nanogram/liter” or “ng/l”.
  • having at least 1 measurement of ‘High sensitivity Troponin I (hs-cTnI) Measurements’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period; who are female; numeric value > 16; unit: “nanogram/liter” or “ng/l”.
  • having at least 1 measurement of ‘High sensitivity Troponin T (hs-cTnT) Measurements’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period; who are male; numeric value > 22; unit: “nanogram/liter” or “ng/l”.
  • having at least 1 measurement of ‘High sensitivity Troponin T (hs-cTnT) Measurements’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period; who are female; numeric value > 14; unit: “nanogram/liter” or “ng/l”.
  • having at least 1 measurement of ‘Troponin I (cTnI) measurements’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period; numeric value >= 30; unit: “nanogram/liter” or “ng/l”.
  • having at least 1 measurement of ‘Troponin I (cTnI) measurements’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period; numeric value >= 0.03; unit: “nanogram/milliliter” or “ng/ml”.
  • having at least 1 measurement of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] cTnT-meas’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period; numeric value >= 16; unit: “nanogram/liter” or “ng/l”.

Cohort/phenotype 4: [OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Definition 3 elev TROP ICU definition

1. visit occurrences of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] ED visit’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.
  2. observations of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] ED visit’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.
  3. measurements of ‘Troponin Measurements’, starting on or after January 1, 2016.

Inclusion Criteria

1. age ≥ 18 yo
  2. Elevated Troponin level: elevated Trop observed, or elevated by value cutoff as above
  3. Antiplatelet Medications (AND): Chewable Aspirin day of, P2Y12i within 0-1 day
    Entry events with all of the following criteria:
  • having at least 1 drug exposure of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Aspirin Chewables’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  • having at least 1 drug exposure of ‘P2Y12 inhibitors’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  1. ECG Obtained: ECG on index date
  • having at least 1 measurement of ‘ECG Obtained’, starting between 0 days before and 0 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  • having at least 1 procedure occurrence of ‘ECG Obtained’, starting between 0 days before and 0 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  • having at least 1 observation of ‘ECG Obtained’, starting between 0 days before and 0 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  1. PCI +/- stent: within 0-1 day
  • having at least 1 procedure occurrence of ‘PCI w or wo stent’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  • having at least 1 device exposure of ‘PCI w or wo stent’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  1. ICU Stay
  • having at least 1 visit occurrence of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Intensive care unit’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  • having at least 1 observation of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Intensive care unit’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  • having at least 1 procedure occurrence of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Intensive care unit’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.
  1. ICU Stay: limit to 1-2 day stay
    Entry events having at least 1 visit occurrence of ‘[OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Intensive care unit’, starting between 0 days before and 1 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period; with length between 1 and 2 days.

Cohort/phenotype 5: [OHDSI PhenotypePhebruary] Definition 4 Elev TROP (+ ST elevation on ECG) definition
Cohort Entry Events
as phenotype 3

Inclusion Criteria

1. as phenotype 3
  2. as phenotype 3
  3. as phenotype 3
  4. as phenotype 3
  5. as phenotype 3
  6. Measurement of ST elevation on ECG: on index date
    Entry events having at least 1 measurement of ‘ST elevation (on ECG)’, starting between 0 days before and 0 days after cohort entry start date; allow events outside observation period.

We ran these cohorts against some of our US EMR and Claims databases as an example and in Cohort Diagnostics, I will link some of the interesting results later today :slight_smile:

@emirsyailendra @mirza_khan @atifadam

Here are some of the results from the CohortDiagnostics.
The initial cohort counts show that for both the EMR and Claims database a decent number of patients can be found using the diagnosis codes in phenotypes 1 and 2. However, when the inclusion criteria changed to include an elevated troponin measurement, we can see that the number of patients for the claims database reduces to zero.

When looking further into this, we can see that a high number of patients enter in both databases due to either an ED visit or a qualitative troponin measurement. However, the inclusion criteria set means that the patient either needs to have a condition that indicates an elevated troponin measurement or a measurement value that is above the abovementioned cut-offs in phenotype 3. From experience, we know that the claims database does unfortunately not contain any measurement values.

If we look at the intersect overview in ATLAS, for cohorts 4 and 5, we see that for both databases there do give patients with the other inclusion/exclusion criteria, but the sum of all the inclusion and exclusion criteria leads to zero patients.

Cohort 4

Cohort 5

Furthermore, the figure (from CohortDiagnostics) below shows the incidence rates for the three cohorts. It shows that most patients diagnosed with STEMI condition or an elevated troponin level are male and higher incidence rates were found for patients that are >50 years old.
Does this make sense from a clinical perspective, @emirsyailendra @mirza_khan @atifadam?

Looking at the cohort overlap, what is quite interesting, is that the patients included in the first two cohorts (cohorts 1 and 2 - diagnosis levels only) do not overlap with cohort 3 (elevated troponin levels) in the EMR database. This seems to indicate that we are including different people in our cohorts by looking STEMI diagnosed patients vs. patients with elevated troponin levels.

Thanks @mbrand

Elevated troponin levels do not always signify ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI).

• Troponin is a protein released from damaged heart muscle cells and is a sensitive and specific marker of myocardial injury.
    Troponin levels can be elevated in various cardiac conditions including other types of heart attacks such as non-ST elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI), unstable angina, myocarditis, pericarditis, and congestive heart failure.
  • Additionally, non-cardiac conditions such as sepsis, renal failure, pulmonary embolism, and stroke can also cause elevated troponin levels.

@mirza_khan : This is another reason composite definitions for STEMI require additional clinical evaluation such as electrocardiogram (ECG) findings and symptoms etc.
What do you think?

@mbrand @atifadam @mirza_khan would it be possible to share the CohortDiagnostics output on a public site so that we can also contribute to the review. We can also add to your output data sources that i have access to. Other data volunteers maybe willing to try running on their data sources too.

Many OHDSI collaborators host on data.ohdsi.org . I can help you to put the output there if you prefer.

I am curious to know about the observation of persons with STEMI (cohort 1, cohort 2) in datasource called Ambulatory EMR. For Cohort 1 where persons may enter with a diagnosis code of STEMI, i wonder if these are outpatient follow-up for recent STEMI (i.e index event misclassification error). The drop was less for Pharmetrics datasource that has inpatient care. I am curious now to see if the proportion of persons who are getting inpatient/ER care is higher in cohort 2 compared to cohort 1 (specificity errors).

Regarding Cohort 3 - US claims (CMS 1500, UB04) does not have lab results, but some health insurance companies do collect and store lab results through their contract with private labs. However, most of these labs are for outpatient care and not acute care. I believe the only data source that would have lab results for acute events like Troponin are data sources that are extracts from electronic health record of a hospital system that cares for Myocardial Infarction persons.

I am surprised by this. While i agree with @atifadam explanation that non cardiac conditions may explain some of these, I think it’s worthy investigating.

@atifadam @mirza_khan you may be onto something. A simple stemi diagnosis based definition may have specificity and index date misclassification errors. Using lab results of troponin may not be feasible in most data sources leading to 0 counts ie sensitivity errors - although it maybe the right definition for a data source with complete capture of lab results. But a definition that is maybe a combination a several criteria like chest pain, EKG, troponin testing, PCI, stent, that are commonly associated with STEMI combined with STEMI diagnosis - potentially limited to inpatient or ER visit maybe just right trade off of sensitivity, specificity and index date misclassification errors. This cohort maybe indexed on either the associated finding or the diagnosis of STEMI.

The initial results of the CohortDiagnostics can be viewed and reviewed here:
https://data.ohdsi.org/PhenotypePhebruary2023_P9_StEvelationMyocardialInfarction/

t