OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Standard vocabulary updates / change logs?

Hi! We’re currently evaluating the OMOP standard vocabulary. Two quick questions:

• How often are these vocabularies updated?
  • Is there a diff or change log somewhere I can look at to get a sense of how stable these vocabularies are?

Bump!

Sorry for not answering, missed this message.

It’s updated once in one-two weeks. There’s no exact schedule. It depends on updates of the sources.

There’s no change log for now.

In general, these vocabularies are pretty stable. They are updated over time once the source is updated.
Anyway, we are planning to publish release notes. Once it’s established, I’ll let you know.

Any developments on this topic?
Aside from the drug vocabularies, what typically is refreshed monthly or more frequently?

A release page was implemented where you can find the detailed statistics on changes between the versions.

The only thing is refreshed so often is NDC/SPL.

thank you

@Dymshyts The vocabularies change log v20191114 listed several concepts added to the ICD10CM vocabulary. However, the download page in Athena states that the ICD10CM vocabulary was last updated 01-Jan-2019. I’m not sure if that means that an old version of the vocabulary is available in Athena or these more recent changes are somehow not reflected on the download page. Could you please clarify?

@Dymshyts @Christian_Reich bump

Hi @andrey,
sorry for the long silence and thank you for the question.

New 2020 ICD-10-CM codes that became effective on October 1, 2019, are added to the OMOP vocabulary. But there’s an issue with the latest update.

And there is another issue eventually: valid_start_date of a concept is displayed incorrectly (as 01-Jan-2019) as well, see for example
http://athena.ohdsi.org/search-terms/terms/1553784

We’ll let you know when this will be fixed.

Hi @Dymshyts,

Thank you for the update.

Also I wonder about FY2020 updates for the ICD10PCS vocabulary. I’ve checked a couple of the new codes (e.g. 03VG3HZ), but they are not present in the Athena. Is there a plan to update this vocabulary as well? The last updated date listed on the Athena download page is 01-Jan-2018.

@Dymshyts - Is there any format issues with Jan 2020 vocab files? click here.

And will I be able to get back dated vocab files? I mean I know the latest version is V5.0 Jan 2020 but will I get to download the V5.0 Aug 2019? Where can I find those?

It is stated wrong. Actual version in Athena is 2019.
However, the concept with code 03VG3HZ was only introduced in 2020 version, which is indeed not in Athena yet.

The ICD10PCS vocabulary will absolutely be updated to 2020 version. However, I don’t think it will be done until summer: current implementation in OMOP CDM depends on SNOMED Vocabulary, which is not due to be updated untill April, since we depend on SNOMED UK Extension release date.

EDIT: Correction - 03VG3HZ was introduced to ICD10PCS in October 2019. However, we follow the release schedule from CMS website, and it’s updated each January.

Hi @SELVA_MUTHU_KUMARAN, thanks for reaching out. These issues are not related. I answered in the corresponing thread.

Unfortunately there’s no possibility to download older version of the vocabulary.
Why do you need that though?

yeah, the codes become active 1-Jan-2020 anyway. So it’s totally fine to make the codes released in October-2019 as effecrtive from 01-Jan-2020.
This is the case with ICD10CM as well - we couldn’t put the data in the future.

@Dymshyts @Eduard_Korchmar Based on this discussion, I’d assume that ICD-10-CM FY2021 codes (e.g. V00.038) would be integrated into the OMOP vocabularies no earlier than somewhere in 2021. Is that assumption correct? If yes, could you please provide a guestimate?

Not necessary in 2021. The codes itself are available in October 2020. We still don’t have resources to do that (we don’t only need to add these codes but to map them to SNOMED manually, which takes time)
Once we plan this update, we’ll let you know.

@Dymshyts Thank you for the information.

Hi @andrey,
We cannot give you a planned release date, but we have a task for ICD10CM FY2021 on our backlog and plan to have it done before end of year.
I hope this works with your use cases!
Thanks!
Mik

t