OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

plausibleLow and plausibleHigh for Concept ID: 3024128

Hi! I am evaluating the quality of an OMOP mapping I have performed using EHDEN Data Quality checks and I noticed that the plausibleLow and plausibleHigh values for the LOINC concept 1975-2 which maps to Athena concept ID: 3024128 with unitConceptId: 8840 appear to be 1 and 100 as per DataQualityDashboard/OMOP_CDMv5.3.1_Concept_Level.csv at master · OHDSI/DataQualityDashboard · GitHub.

However, according to the LOINC website (LOINC 1975-2 — Bilirubin.total [Mass/volume] in Serum or Plasma) for the same unit of measurement, values are expected to be in the range of [0.3, 1] which I do in the source data. As a result, I appear to be failing all the plausibleLow checks for this concept ID.

Could you please help me understand what the underlying reason is here and if the thresholds themselves must be changed?

Thank you!

“The check for plausible values for measurements and their associated units is looking for biologically implausible values, not normal values. These were devised based on expert review of three physicians. It is considered a fail because we have tried to steer clear of additional levels of check failures like warnings because we have found that the more levels that are introduced, the easier it is to start ignoring the notification (alarm fatigue). If you have reviewed your data and find that the percent of records that fail the check is acceptable to you, I would recommend altering the threshold so that it is no longer considered a failure.”

Check out the full post here

Also, this other post states future DQD checks may based on data within the network instead of expert review.

Normal results for a total bilirubin test are 1.2 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) for adults and usually 1 mg/dL for those under 18.
Obviosly it is possible for them to be less than 1.

@zed Can you please post this issue here Issues · OHDSI/DataQualityDashboard · GitHub ?

t