OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Phenotypes for HowOften – large-scale incidence characterization

Hi All!

I’m interested in evaluating pediatric outcomes for the HowOften study and wondered if anyone would like to work with me on them. We are planning in the future to develop a pediatric study so this would be a nice way to evaluate the phenotypes and to do some feasibility in advance of development of research questions.

The following phenotypes are of interest:

1. Otitis media
  2. motor vehicle accidents
  3. asthma
  4. burns - Skin Burns
  5. Firearm Accidents
  6. Drug Overdose and Poisoning
  7. Suffocation
  8. Drowning
  9. Cystic Fibrosis
  10. Down Syndrome
  11. Autism
  12. Atopic Dermatitis

We have literature reviews for asthma, autism, and atopic dermatitis and I have boiler plate clinical descriptions which can be shared with anyone interested. If you are a clinician, your expertise would be helpful in authoring clinical descriptions for these phenotypes. If you would like to pitch in on evaluating the phenotype algorithms, we could do that together.

If you would like to work together on this list, please reach out. Tagging @clairblacketer , @ericaVoss , @jpegilbert and @Patrick_Ryan

Thanks all!

1 Like

Asthma attacks or the long-term chronic disease?

Also, for cystic fibrosis, Down syndrome (and probably also autism and atopic dermatitis) there is no “before” incidence. Do you care? What do you intend to compare it to?

What about childhood infections and cancers? (I know you are looking for people who don’t add more, but actually sign up for doing some :slight_smile: )

Christian_Reich I found a few of the phenotypes listed above in the Ohdsi phenotype library so for now those will suffice for the HowOften study. I’d be interested in background rates of these as a start. Yes the additional phenotypes you suggest would be helpful but alas I’ve been working on a few for the HowOften study and will post them now. Stay tuned.

In follow up to this post this maybe useful organizationally.
Here is the target and outcome cohorts and age strata:
Target: people who were observed on 1 January 2017, 1 January 2018, or 1 January 2019 and were observed for at least 365 days before this observation date (identical to the target used in the covidaesi OHDSI study)
Outcomes and cohort ids:

1. attention deficit hyperactivity disorder 134
  2. chronic lymphocytic leukemia 470
  3. Guttate psoriasis 667
  4. suicide 690
  5. otitis media 533
  6. motor vehicle accidents 753
  7. asthma 521
  8. skin burns TBD
  9. firearm accidents 752
  10. cystic fibrosis TBD
  11. down syndrome 754
  12. autism 591
  13. atopic dermatitis 466
    Age strata - those defined in the HowOften protocol
    These phenotypes were selected by referencing this publication: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsr1804754 although in this publication the outcome is death which is not being proposed here. We have added a few phenotypes of interest but acknowledge that it is not an exhaustive list of phenotypes of interest in pediatrics. Tagging and thanking @Azza_Shoaibi as she has been my phenotype collaborator.
t