OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

ICU data

Hi all, I am new to OMOP data.
I am trying to find the ICU admission and discharge date. I found the ICU data is under observation table (with only observation_date). When linking to visit_occurrence table, visit_start_date and visit_end_date seem to be hospital admission and discharge dates. When further linking to visit_detail, only a small subset of patients have ‘inpatient in critical care facility’ in visit_detail_concept_id.
There was a discussion in 2017 (New table for visits, encounters, care transitions - #3 by MPhilofsky) talked about building data re: care transition.
Any thoughts or any other ways(tables) can identify these dates?
Much appreciated.

Kate

Hello @katewu,

ICU visits will be recorded in the Visit Detail table, if you have these data at your source and they were brought into the OMOP CDM. The Visit Detail table is an optional table. I would look for visit_detail_concept_id = 32037. This concept_id represents periods of time a person was receiving ICU care.

Thank you for the response @MPhilofsky
It only shows a subset of ICU patients had the visit_detail_concept_id = [32037].
I am using PharMetrics Plus. Will different database have different information? Thank you!

You’re welcome, @katewu!

Yes, different databases will have different data and not all OMOP CDMs implement the Visit Detail table. I am not familiar with PharMetrics Plus data. You should ask your contact at IQVIA or whoever implemented your OMOP CDM about these data.

Also,

doesn’t necessarily mean the person was in the Intensive Care Unit. Most urban and suburban hospitals in the US are “critical care” facilities, meaning they provide critical care services for acute conditions versus long-term care or skilled nursing care.

t