OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

COVID and AKI

Is anyone interested in characterizing acute kidney injury (AKI) among COVID patients? This study could help address the operational question of whether there will be an adequate number of dialysis machines for this population. Also, we may gather useful data regarding which subgroups may be at risk for AKI and whether the incidence is higher for patients on mechanical ventilation. This analysis will likely use phenotypes developed during the COVID study-a-thon. Please let me know if you are interested! @aostropolets @mmatheny @Patrick_Ryan @cukarthik

Thanks,
Matt

I would be delighted to contribute @mattspotnitz

1 Like

Count me in!

1 Like

I like to work on this too.

1 Like

Please let me know how i can help; do you want to schedule a call in MS teams and if so when?

Me too please if there is capacity.

1 Like

count me in too ,we can add it to the MS teams projects

1 Like

I would also love to be part of this study!

1 Like

I am also interested to participate. I seems to me we need a "characterization factory approach’. The covid-hospitalized and covid-tested are very similar studies. And a third study would be covid+AKI.

I am working a bit on the covid-tested and we essentially need to deploy the same study as here https://github.com/ohdsi-studies/Covid19HospitalizationCharacterization but the key cohort 1 needs to have index event not hospital visit but simply COVID19 positive test.

1 Like

Some recent report on AKI in COVID-19 patients from China: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.06.20055194v1

Friends:

Exactly.

We will figure out how we are going to organize network research in the wake of the study-a-thon. In the mean time, please start developing use cases. We have a lot of definitions for Covid and outcomes, and we need to do that for AKI and validate that in the network. But again, let’s start with the questions.

What are they?

1 Like

Here are the main questions:

1. What was the incidence of AKI in the COVID population?
  2. What was the incidence of AKI in the subgroup of COVID patients who required mechanical ventilation?
  3. What was the incidence of AKI in the subgroup of COVID patients who were critically ill?
  4. What were the characteristics of the COVID patients who developed AKI in each question?
    @Christian_Reich
1 Like

@mattspotnitz You can take a loot at the paper titled ’ Acute kidney injury in patients hospitalized with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: A single-center retrospective observational study’ in medrxiv

1 Like

@mattspotnitz Actually, I’m interested in the clinical course of COVID-19 in the ESRD patients undergoing dialysis before the COVID-19 infection. Do you have any interest on this topic, too?

Thanks for the reference @SCYou! I think that OHDSI has something unique to contribute on this topic. COVID-19 infection among dialysis patients is an interesting topic. We can discuss how to study that cohort. Are you interested in being a data partner on the COVID-19 AKI analysis?

1 Like

Makes sense, @mattspotnitz, except 1) probably needs to be limited to hospitalized Covid cases, otherwise you will have denominator problems. Essentially the Chinese study.

The question about dialysis patients might be broader - incidence of acute deterioration of kidney function in patient with a preexisting chronic kidney failure, of which dialysis might be one subgroup. Which makes this a subpopulation of 1)-4).

2 Likes

I am happy to help.

2 Likes

I would like to contribute. Count me in.

Thanks

Best, Yeesuk

1 Like

Hi @mattspotnitz, I am an MSc by Research student at the University of Oxford and would be delighted to contribute to this study. I have previously looked into contrast administration and risk of AKI following surgery (https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.11453) am currently involved in AKI risk prediction models following surgery. I am reachable at waheed.ahmed@ndorms.ox.ac.uk

1 Like

Yes, would be happy to contribute Taiwanese data.

2 Likes
t