OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Workgroup for Cost, Utilization, Economic, Services

Source: https://goo.gl/uGcJWE

Source: https://goo.gl/uGcJWE

@Gowtham_Rao, Odysseus will participate!

@pavgra, @Eldar, @Dymshyts

1 Like

@Gowtham_Rao

How about adding function to compare the cost on the treatment?

When we compare the cost between target vs. comparator cohort (eg., phenytoin cohort vs. levetiracetam cohort),we can compare the cost for the medicine itself (we can calculate whole cost for phenytoin and levetiracetam in the cohort by using ‘including concept_id for treatment cost’ function to the cost estimation package).

Since levetiracetam is more expensive than phenytoin, I want to compare the expense of the treatment, too.

1 Like

Yes

@SCYou this would be an important question to tackle. When comparing costs between two or more groups (target(s) vs comparators), I can think of the following options

1. Global cost comparison (pretty straight forward)
  2. Subset of costs comparison, by sub-setting cost records by some rule. (this is what you proposed - sub-setting by RxNorms linked to cost table)

Subset of costs seems to also have two different sub-types

1. Similar subsets, where the same sub-set rule is applied on records of the comparison cohorts; e,g, comparing costs with the same visit_concept_id, or place_of_service_concept_id, or drug_concept_id
  2. Dissimilar subsets, where different sub-set rule is applied on record of the comparison cohorts e.g. comparing phenytoin costs vs levetiracetam costs - they are not the same RxNorm concept-id’s.

Dissimilar subset cost comparison may be further of two types

1. Within the same domain - e.g. comparison of drug costs to drug cost (your example)
  2. Between domains or combination of domains eg. cost of surgery vs pharmaceutical intervention

@SCYou @Dave_Kern what do you think about this framework above?

@Gowtham_Rao
This framework is awesome. I can see how much you are familiar with existing OHDSI study pipelines and ecosystem.

In Korean claim database, we have an information for the individual economic status on decimal basis (I stored this information in the observation table). So we can show the basic economic status of the individuals. I’m not sure other databases also has this information. please just keep this in mind.

It would be wonderful if we show whole medical expenses before the cohort_start_date, during cohort date, and after the cohort_end_date. and mortality, too.
Then, I think we can do simple analysis for the cost-effectiveness of the drug, device or procedures.

Again, I think this work is really necessary for OHDSI. And I’m so grateful to you for the contribution.

1 Like

Should we keep the established terms “Test Cohort” and “Comparator Cohort”? Otherwise you will confuse a ton of people if you call them “Comparator” and “Evaluation”.

Thank you for picking up on that. We will need some guidance on this topic from the community - because we (or atleast I), am confused because we seem to use these terminologies inconsistently.

Today the workgroup mocked up the output for the cost and utilization. We also wrote some pseudocode. Please review and provide input for this document

Tomorrow we will mock up the user-interface for Atlas

If you would like to join the workgroup and assist in the development, please post in this forum

1 Like

Is there an overview of all the analyses in the 4000+ range in Heracles. Do they make sense on global level? Should they go to Achilles?

Like on this line 11085 (what a beatiful SQL file with many )lines :slight_smile:

e.g. analysis 4019

Good question @Vojtech_Huser! What are your thoughts?

i am highly interested in this topic! it is a must have if we are to use CDM in our studies.

1 Like

Hey everyone! Nataly here from J&J. we do health outcomes research for medical devices in our studies and was wondering about the update of this workgroup. I would love to help and learn as much as I can to help implement it in our projects and help others do the same. Please let me know how I can participate.

Hello, @Nataly_Patino
Could you tell me which kind of database you can access? I’m working on Korean National claim database for cost and survival trend in cancer patients and looking for the collaborators.

1 Like

I can access Truven, Premier, CMS, CPRD, JMDV. I may have access to Korean claim database and I would be happy to collaborate.

I’m interested in this workgroup. Is it still meeting?

Hi @Gowtham_Rao, I am very interested in joining this working group. It seems this group is no longer active. Is this topic now under other working groups? Thank you!

No

This workgroup is unfortunately inactive

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

Hi everyone,

Our team in Pfizer is still quite interested in this working group and we are hoping to see if we can help to re-activate the group. How should we do so?

If anyone was in this working group, do you mind to share what are the challenges you faced, and what’s the key reason that the group is now inactive? I already learned from Rao that the group led to the updated cost table (version 6), and also added features to Atlas for cost and utilization.

Thanks all!
Yi-Chien

t