OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Welcome to OHDSI! - Please introduce yourself

Hi, I am Tammi Lasky, a pharmacoepidemiologist working as a consultant in Baltimore, MD. I’ve heard Patrick speak about OHDSI and I attended the Symposium this past October. I am excited by the whole concept of OHDSI and using Real-World Evidence to improve the ways medications are used in children. The potential to improve the health of children is especially great because it is often more difficult to do a clinical trial in children, and because we usually have small numbers of children with a given condition or disease, so collaboration is essential.

My “children” are grown and would take issue with being called children, and neither one followed me into science. My interests are on the quiet, contemplative side - hiking, sketching, knitting, and the like. Am trying to come out of my shell, a little!

1 Like

I’m Bob Kirk. I work as Manager of Database Administration/Analytics at Einstein Medical Center. There, my job is to manage a team that preforms ETL and analytical analysis on observational data from various sources. This is an opportunity to start my journey on delivering answers to questions about disease natural history, treatment utilization,
At Einstein, we utilize many different patient-level datasets (administrative claims, electronic health records, clinical registries), and my goal for achieving our mission is to transform
every database to the OMOP common data model and to adopt the use of OHDSI’s open-source tools as the foundation for our evidence generation process.

In terms of how I’d like to help the OHDSI community: I really like to design and rapidly prototype novel analytical solutions (both back-end statistical modeling and front-end interactive visualizations) that can meet specific evidence needs that I see within my company and across the community.

1 Like

My name is Dan O’Leary and I work with medical device and regulations.

My primary interest is mathematical and statistical techniques for post-market surveillance. In particular, techniques that help the device manufacturer recognize issues from production and post-production data.

2 Likes

Hello everyone

Nice to meet you all.

My name is Rachel and I am an Oncology Pharmacist.

I worked as a Pharmacist in UK, HK and as a aid worked with Medecins sans Frontieres. Currently I am working for IQVIA as a Oncology Subject Matter Expert.

As a front-line healthcare professional, I strongly believe in the OHDSI’s vision on better healthcare and I would like to support whenever possible.

With my user experience on various regimen set and EPR providers in Europe and Asia, my interested would be on the development of oncology module in OHDSI.

1 Like

My name is Ben Hansen. I’m a (soon to be) retired US expatriate Data Scientist in Europe. I’ve got a professional interest in analysis and a personal interest in healthcare.

I would like to begin learning about OHDSI and to see where I can participate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hello,

My name is Cynthia Sung. I’m an adjunct Assoc Professor at Duke-NUS Medical School Health Services and Systems Research Program and also a consultant to the Health Sciences Authority, the Regulatory Authority in Singapore for health products. I am a Medical Engineer by training and my research has been related to clinical pharmacology (PK/PD modeling, drug discovery & development).

I am inspired to join OHDSI after having the privilege of attending several lectures by Prof Rae Wong Park, Dr Seng Chan You, and Dr. Dahye Shin from Ajou University, as well as Mui van Zandt from IQVIA on CDM conversion and applications.

I am very excited about being part of the ODHSI community and the potential to advance knowledge about drug safety in Singapore, especially because rare but very serious adverse drug reactions need a large volume of data to reach meaningful conclusions. Using EMR data also gives us the chance to better understand the benefit:risk profile of drugs in the local population, since Asians are usually not very well represented in clinical trials used to gain approval. I also appreciate that only programs and aggregated results are shared, not the data, because of laws around personal data protection.

I’m just getting introduced to the wealth of information here, so I’ve lots of reading to do!

2 Likes

Welcome! @CSung
I’m really grateful to you and your team for every effort to make Singapore to join OHDSI!

I’m Natalie Bareis and started a Post-doc at the New York State Psychiatric Institute at Columbia University in July. I am an epidemiologist with a focus on psychiatric epidemiology and more generally how effective medications and other treatments are for individuals with serious mental illness. I am particularly interested in OHDSI because of the wealth of information it can provide. I’m the first person in my division to use the ATLAS search engine and have been having trouble downloading de-identified person-level data. For example, I want to know how many people with schizophrenia are in the dataset that I’m using and want to download their information for all different types of analyses that cannot be done with the estimation and incidence programs on the website. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, Natalie, and welcome. In general, Atlas won’t download information. You can only do analyses within Atlas. But you can use Atlas to figure out what cohort you want and what is available, and then go to your institution’s analytics group and have them download that cohort separately. The Columbia clinical data warehouse group is an example. And we hope to add more functions to Atlas in the future.

This is extremely helpful! Thanks for the quick response!

This is very helpful! Thanks for clarifying.

Natalie Bareis, MS, LMSW, PhD
Post-Doctoral Fellow
Behavioral Health Services and Policy Research
New York State Psychiatric Institute
Columbia University Medical Center
1051 Riverside Drive, Room 6402A
New York, NY 10032
natalie.bareis@nyspi.columbia.edu
nab2151@cumc.columbia.edu

Hi all,
I am Wayde Shipman. I am a veterinarian, computer scientist and terminology developer at the Veterinary Medical Terminology Services Laboratory at Virginia Tech. A group of veterinary schools is considering using the Common Data Model to form OHDSI networks for data analysis for both veterinary observational research and One Health initiatives. We know there are terminology concepts need to be added to the vocabulary and we will need to discuss how to extend the model to accommodate animal records. We also hope to discover animal models of human diseases.

I attended the OHDSI Symposium in October and joined the forum several months ago but waited until the project I am involved with was started. We had first workshop this week and are moving forward. I am looking forward to the work OHDSI does and hope we can collaborate to bring veterinary medical records into observational research.

Hi All,

I am a Statistician working on Digital health. I am quite interested in Large and complex Data visualization, analysis of intensive longitudinal data and methodological works in Bayesian variable selection.

Hi everyone!

I’m Jacqueline Kueper, a PhD candidate at Western University, supervised by Dr. Dan Lizotte. My doctoral research is part of a budding initiative to transform one of the primary health care organizations in Ontario (hi from Canada! :maple_leaf: ) into a learning health system. Within that initiative, I am developing predictive models and decision support tools that can be run on the organization’s EMR database during a patient appointment to support early detection of chronic disease and treatment selection. Previously, during my master’s degree (epidemiology & biostatistics) I worked on outcome measurement for pre-dementia syndromes.

I’m new to the OHDSI community and am looking forward to learning more and helping out in any way I can (suggestions are welcome)!

Hi everyone!
My name is Antonio Nunez-Reiz. I am a physician and informatics engineer. I work at the Hospital Universitario Clinico San Carlos, a big public hospital in Madrid (Spain).
The MIT people introduced us to this project, and I have to say I am thrilled and amazed by what I have read in this forum and what I have learnt from your wiki and your web.
My job is in the ICU, we have tons of data in our system, and our aim and vision is very much like yours. It would be fantastic if we could be a part of this great project.
Thanks for this amazing team effort !!

Hello- My name is Erica Maltby. I work with a group of independent practices that have been collecting and analyzing their own surgical data through a very manual, laborious process of extraction and mapping. They’re interested in growing their specialty quality Alliance but ran into the usual issues when multiple EMRs are involved. @kDarko and I am working with them to leverage a CDM for their purposes of benchmarking and analytics- which require data from multiple practices and ancillary providers.

Hi all, My name is Mina Kim and I am a researcher at Samsung Medical Center.

I’ve worked on converting Samsung Medical Center data to the CDM since October 2016 and now I’m working on improving the data quality of SMC CDM. From improving code mapping to finding more data to add to the CDM is still challenging, but I’m very enthusiastic in doing it because exploring EHR data is always exciting.

During the last 2017 OHDSI symposium, it was good to join working group(THEMIS), share ETL issues and solutions with clever people. I’m looking forward to working with and contribute to the OHDSI community!!

See you all at 2018 OHDSI symposium!

1 Like

Hi, @minakim
Samsung Medical Center is one of the most active OHDSI collaborator in Korea. I’m looking forward to more collaboration with you!

Hi all,

My name is Young-Geun Choi, a biostatistics postdoc in the Public Health Sciences Division at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA. I am delighted to introduce myself; although still trying to understand what’s going on ;).

My PhD major is statistics. I see a bunch of unique challenges regarding EHRs, which motivates me to come up with new exciting research ideas. My research interests regarding OHDSI are assisting in data-driven medical problems as well as developing statistical methods. For example, my current projects at Fred Hutch are statistical methods and theories for (1) personalized treatment selection for elderly Type-II Diabetes patients with comorbidity and (2) geospatial surveillance for childhood obesity, using EHRs stored in the University of Wisconsin.

My collaboration interest is in chronic and infectious diseases, especially HIV/AIDS. If someone has an interest in inspecting some aspects of HIV/AIDS via the OHDSI platform, I would more than happy to hear that.

1 Like

Hi, all.
I’m Jong-Yeup, Kim. and I have been a assistant professor at Konyang University, Daejeon, Korea in Otorhinolaryngology. I got to known this OHDSI community on the recommendation of professor Rae Woong Park. I found research interest in human driven big-data analysis about several years ago. I plan to make center for biomedical informatics in my medical college. My immediate task is to build an Avengers team to lead this center. I hope that I will be able to learn and interact with many people here.

When not working I hang out with wife , 11 years old daughter and 8 years old sun, and like to make something new like app(not related work) or arduino(with my kids).

I look forward to a great OHDSI adventure
Thanks
Jong-Yeup, Kim

2 Likes
t