This is an open forum discussion for:
THEMIS issue #79
Multiple Death Records Due to Death_type or Cause - Version 5.4
This issue has been discussed multiple times over multiple years (see Related Posts below). There has even been a THEMIS thread proposing a solution. However, the issue remains, and we’d like to stick a pin in it for good.
Issue Name: Multiple Death Records Due to Death_type_concept or Cause_concept Version 5.4
Issue Type: Duplicate records caused by multiple standard concept_ids for death cause or death type (provenance)
Description: OMOP CDM v5.4
The table description for the Death table has the following: “A person can have up to one record if the source system contains evidence about the Death”. However, an ICD diagnosis code may map to multiple SNOMED codes:
ICD10: J96.21 (Acute on chronic respiratory failure with hypoxia (HCC))
SNOMED: 389086002 (Hypoxia) and 67905004 (Acute-on-chronic respiratory failure)
This results in two records with the same death date.
Similarly, a person may have death records from multiple systems (provenance), i.e. EHR and death registry.
Suggested Solution: For OMOP version 5.4, allow multiple records in the Death table caused by either the death_type_concept_id and/or cause_concept_id. However the Death_Date(s) must match.
- CDM documentation will need to be modified.
- The rules of the DQD (Data Quality Dashboard) will have to be adjusted to match. @clairblacketer
- Question @Chris_Knoll on whether this change will affect Atlas. Does Atlas expect only one death record?
Related forum posts:
- Multiple Death records due to SNOMED mapping
- (Multiple death records from different sources)
- Condition_occurrence, Death diagnoses - CDM Builders - OHDSI Forums
- Should death reason be also in the condition_occurrence table in cdm5.3/5.4?
- Multiple deaths on the same day · Issue #5 · OHDSI/Themis · GitHub
- Multiple Cause of Death
Reported By: Roger Carlson
@Chris_Knoll @Christian_Reich @katy-sadowski @MPhilofsky @clairblacketer @lychenus13 @Polina_Talapova @ericaVoss @QI_omop @Mark @hiro-mishima @cukarthik @PriyaDesai @jmethot @Vojtech_Huser @aostropolets @pavgra @Patrick_Ryan