OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Survey response capture - Multiple choices as answer

Hello Everyone,

I have a list of survey questions and am quite struggling to convert certain questions to CDM format. Can you please help me with one such survey question listed below

"As far as you know, which of the family members were affected with heart disease

a) Father - 1) Yes 2) No 3) Do not know — User chose “Yes”
b) Mother - 1) Yes 2) No 3) Do not know — User chose “No”
c) Sister - 1) Yes 2) No 3) Do not know — User chose “Yes”
d) Brother - 1) Yes 2) No 3) Do not know —User chose “No”
e) Son - 1) Yes 2) No 3) Do not know – User chose “Do not Know”
f) Daughter - 1) Yes 2) No 3) Do not know – User chose “No”

Another example of such survey question is as shown below

So, in the above case of heart disease, Am I right to understand that there will be multiple rows (6 rows) for the same patient because this question allows user to select multiple choices. let’s take father option as example

I have a concept id for the question (ex:123) and concept ids for “Father” and “Yes”.

I understand that observation_concept_id will be 123 (concept id for the question) but for response the value_concept_id will be the concept_id for “Yes” or Concept_id for “Father”? Which one should I choose?

Or should I choose the value_concept_id for Father and in the value_as_numeric I should just key in as “1” for Yes.

Might be an elementary question but require your guidance on how to approach this?

I understand the options could have been made easier to just have Father, Mother, sister, daughter, son etc but since they have captured the response this way, can you please help me how can this be done?

@ericaVoss @Patrick_Ryan - Reaching out to you as I read your work on survey data for NHANES survey questionnaire. your inputs will be helpful

Any help from the other forum users is also appreciated

Thanks
Selva

Can anyone help me with this?

@SELVA_MUTHU_KUMARAN

For the 1st part of your question regarding family history, there are following concepts:

4051255 Family history with explicit context pertaining to mother
4051256 Family history with explicit context pertaining to father
4051258 Family history with explicit context pertaining to sister
4051262 FH: Brother
4054433 Family history with explicit context pertaining to daughter
4052795 Family history with explicit context pertaining to son

Then I would put heart disease in the value_as_concept_id column. But they only work when user chose “Yes”. When they chose “No”, I am not sure how to represent that in CDM. There is a previous discussion on the subject in following link that might be helpful

Also now in the V6 CDM, there is a new table called SURVEY_CONDUCT. It does not exist in V5.3, so I don’t have any experience with it, but it may have the capability to resolve the issue you raised.

Not sure if this helps.

t