OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Request for resources to input to a national healthcare research supports strategy

Hello! I am reaching out because I am working with the ONC to create a strategy for their new unit, the Scientific Advancement Branch (SAB). SAB functions to meet the healthcare improvement objectives of Health and Human Services (HHS) by providing funding and other supports to further healthcare research. OHDSI has been identified as a leader in the healthcare research arena and we would like to speak with appropriate OHDSI resources about barriers to and opportunities for healthcare research from their perspective.

Our focus is on Patient-Centered Outcomes Research, Precision Medicine, CDM Harmonization, and advancing new and promising technologies. I am seeking recommendations from this forum for 1-3 leaders in those arenas that we can reach out to for our research.

Hi, @LauraLarimer. Nice to meet you. It sounds exciting, and great to hear that OHDSI is being included. Send me a direct message, and we can coordinate.

Hi, George. Pleased to hear from you. Thank you for your interest in providing input to the strategy development for the Scientific Advancement Branch (SAB) of the ONC. The SAB has asked us to focus interviews on the following topic areas:*

• Patient Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR)
  • Common Data Model (CDM) Harmonization
  • Maternal Health
  • Health Equity
  • Precision Medicine
  • Learning Health Systems
  • Emerging Technologies & Innovation (e.g., artificial intelligence/machine learning)

Please let me know which of these topic areas hold the greatest interest for you and we will tailor our interview to your areas of interest. If you believe there are areas of focus effecting the healthcare research community that are not listed above, we are interested in hearing about those as well.

*Stakeholder interviews will be held during the last 2 weeks of May. Due to the limited amount of time available, it is our hope to interview 2-3 persons within one interview slot, so if you know of other OHDSI colleagues that would be interested in this opportunity, please provide them with my contact information. I prefer email at llarimer@briljent.com but can also be reached via phone at 317-752-2320.

Below are the times that we currently have available. Let me know what works for you and I will coordinate the logistics with others with similar interests and availabilities.

Thank you again for your interest. I look forward to hearing back from you and finalizing an interview slot.

Hi, I tried the indicated email but it said invalid. Here is my response:

Hi, Laura. Thanks for the message. The only slot there that works for me is Thursday 5/26 from 1:30-3.

Of those topics, Common Data Model and Learning Health System make the most sense for me. And I guess Emerging Technologies and Innovation.

Let me cc some OHDSI people.

Christian Reich is Common Data Model among others.

Patrick Ryan is Learning Health Systems among others.

Noemie Elhadad is Maternal Health, Health Equity, and Emerging Technologies and Innovation.

I am not sure what you mean by PCOR. I just served on the National Academies panel on patient centered outcomes research (presenting to HHS on Monday). Do you mean data about patients (more me) or actual engagement of patients (more Noemie)?

(I do not know people’s availabilities yet.)

George

t