OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Relationship concepts to link department to hospital?

(Martijn Schuemie) #1

The CDM for the CARE_SITE table states:

There can be hierarchical and business relationships between Care Sites. For example, wards can belong to clinics or departments, which can in turn belong to hospitals, which in turn can belong to hospital systems, which in turn can belong to HMOs.The relationships between Care Sites are defined in the FACT_RELATIONSHIP table.

However, when I look at the list of standard concepts in the Relations domain I only see concepts for person-to-person relations (e.g. ‘Brother’, ‘Child’). Could anybody recommend concepts to use to link departments to hospitals?

(Christian Reich) #2

@schuemie:

Where is this quotation from? We discussed this at length in Ohio back in the day and decided not to try to follow the organizational logic in the CDM for a number of reasons:

• There is no use case
  • It is next to unintelligible from the outside
  • Even if it were possible to ascertain the structural relationship between the entities inside an organization is impossible to model. The administration has a different hierarchy than the physician organization has a different hierarchy than the specialty of the units has a different hierarchy than the geographical hierarchy has a different hierarchy than the commercial or legal entities.

Bottom line: It’s too hard, and has no value.

Thoughts?

(Melanie Philofsky) #3

@schuemie,

I use 46233688, ‘Care Site is part of Care Site’, and 46233689, ‘Care Site contains Care Site’. However, this doesn’t distinguish the physical relationships from the business relationships.

(Martijn Schuemie) #4

Hi @Christian_Reich. The quote is from the CDM GitHub pages.

If it is not used then that is fine, but in that case the documentation should be updated.

(Christian Reich) #5

True. Will do.

t