OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Procedure_occurence table - examples of procedure codes that can last multiple days

While reviewing the procedure_occurence table github CDM documentation, I found the below note on ETL Convention. I do not have a clinical background but I’m trying to understand if there are any procedures that can last multiple days, if so can someone point me to some sample proc_codes that would last that long ?

The only time I think a procedure could be considered multiple days is when a procedure started at 11:55pm(servicebegindate) and ended on 12:30 am(serviceenddate), but other than that I’m not sure if there are other procedures that can last more than 1 day ?

ETL Conventions: If a procedure lasts more than a day, then it should be recorded as a separate record for each day the procedure occurred, this logic is in lieu of the PROCEDURE_END_DATE, which will be added in a future version of the CDM.

Reference: https://ohdsi.github.io/CommonDataModel/cdm60.html#PROCEDURE_OCCURRENCE

For example ventilation. like of Covid patients, @Vinny. They can be on it for weeks.

Or is the intubation the procedure and the ventilator a device, @Christian_Reich? I would argue it is a device, just like a pace maker is a device and the procedure is the implantation of the pace maker.

:slight_smile: The problem is that all procedures use devices. Sometimes the procedure is the main thing and the device (the stitch for example) is irrelevant, and sometimes it is the other way around. For ventilation, it’s kind of in the middle. We need to solve this through conventions.

What did we do, @Alexdavv.

I wouldn’t say we need represent them as devices unless:

1. you know what exact device was used.
  2. have a pretty good vocabulary for it, including hierarchy.
  3. want to compare them with other devices in studies.

As for now, nothing. There’s no convention and currently both live in their potential vocabularies.

But we touched the similar thing when mapped over the covid vaccination procedures to CVX vaccine concept. The entire vaccine is the main thing, while the fact of injection can be lost, as we decided.

t