OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

[NEW PAPER] Developing a Robust Computable Phenotype Definition Workflow to Describe Health and Disease in Observational Health Research

Hi folks,

I am excited to share a paper that myself and several collaborators worked on for the 2023 IEEE Computer Based Medical Systems Conference was just released as a pre-print on arXiv! If you want to give it a look, here it is: [2304.06504] Developing a Robust Computable Phenotype Definition Workflow to Describe Health and Disease in Observational Health Research

To summarize it briefly, this paper provides suggestions interdisciplinary teams can use to develop definitions equitably whether they are an engineer, clinician, or public health policy expert. It takes a lot of inspiration from the greater health informatics community as well as our very own OHDSI Phenotype Development Workgroup. It should noted however, this paper isn’t strictly an OHDSI paper as not all the views we wrote about represent OHDSI perspectives (such as some key deviations from the OHDSI Phenotype Development Workgroup’s ideas). Yet, I am excited to report that the paper is finding some utilization across various institutions already to my knowledge in serving as an introduction to some of the ideas behind phenotyping! Feel free to share your thoughts/critiques/ideas here or at the associated blog post (you don’t need a log-in and can even post anonymously).

A huge thank you to my collaborators Thank you Dr. Jaan Altosaar Li, Sarah Gasman, Dr. Dong Yun Lee, Dr. Shenita Freeman, Dr. Gowtham Rao, and Dr. Azza Shoaibi for working with and supporting me on this effort! Also, thanks to the greater OHDSI community for all the years of support – you all are amazing! Excited to see if this work ends up getting accepted at the conference!

~ jz

t