OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

NCI thesaurus (NCIt) Concept code

Hi,

I thought Concept code in Athena referred to the concept code in the original vocabulary. But if I look at concepts from NCIt this doesn’t seem to be the case. For example Prostate Cancer cT1 TNM Finding by AJCC/UICC 8th edition (Athena) has Concept code cT1-58-8 in Athena but NCI Thesaurus Code C1400130 in the NCI thesaurus (https://ncithesaurus.nci.nih.gov/ncitbrowser/ConceptReport.jsp?dictionary=NCI_Thesaurus&version=22.02d&ns=ncit&code=C140130&key=n754700922&b=1&n=null). Is there a reason these are different or am I looking at the wrong code?

I am asking because we are looking at coding TNM for another purpose than the OMOP-CDM (though we are doing that as well) and it might make sense to do this through the OMOP vocabulary. But if the codes are not linked to NCIt we should probably use NCIt codes.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter!

Yes, usually we use concept code of the original vocabulary. But, as an exception, we decided to make concept code more convenient for querying in this case. Logic of code from your example (cT1-58-8): cT1 — TNM stage, 58 — organ code, and 8 — version.

Hi Maria,

Thank you, that makes sense!

Peter

t