OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Missing RxNorm codes

See email from Children’s Colorado. What source is used for the OMOP RxNorm codes and how often is that source updated from the NLM RxNorm master terminology?

Thanks,
Michael Kahn

From: Schulte, Gregory [mailto:Gregory.Schulte@childrenscolorado.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:14 AM
To: Kahn, Michael; Deakyne, Sara
Subject: RxNorm updates to omop concept table

Michael,

Do you know how often the rxnorm codes get updated in the concept table?

Out of the distinct 38k rxnorm codes in the clarity rxnorm_codes table, 2k of them don’t have a corresponding rxnorm code in the concept table.

I’ve taken handful of the rxnorm codes that don’t match to the omop concept table and verified them against RXNav and they are truly RXnorm codes.

Thanks,
Greg Schulte | Research Informatics Data Warehouse Analyst
13123 East 16th Avenue, Box 485 | Aurora, CO 80045
Phone: 720.777.5740 | Gregory.Schulte@childrenscolorado.org

That depends what is meant by “code”. Not everything gets loaded.

Can you ask Greg to shoot over a few of them?

RxNorm is updated quarterly.

C

From: Michael Kahn [mailto:notifications@mail150.wdc04.mandrillapp.com] On Behalf Of Michael Kahn

Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:34 PM

To: reich@ohdsi.org

Subject: [OHDSI Forums] [CDM Builders] Missing RxNorm codes

mgkahn

December 17

See email from Children's Colorado. What source is used for the OMOP RxNorm codes and how often is that source updated from the NLM RxNorm master terminology?

Thanks,

Michael Kahn

From: Schulte, Gregory [mailto:Gregory.Schulte@childrenscolorado.org]

Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:14 AM

To: Kahn, Michael; Deakyne, Sara

Subject: RxNorm updates to omop concept table

Michael,

Do you know how often the rxnorm codes get updated in the concept table?

Out of the distinct 38k rxnorm codes in the clarity rxnorm_codes table, 2k of them don’t have a corresponding rxnorm code in the concept table.

I’ve taken handful of the rxnorm codes that don’t match to the omop concept table and verified them against RXNav and they are truly RXnorm codes.

Thanks,

Greg Schulte | Research Informatics Data Warehouse Analyst

13123 East 16th Avenue, Box 485 | Aurora, CO 80045

Phone: 720.777.5740 | Gregory.Schulte@childrenscolorado.org

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://forums.ohdsi.org/t/missing-rxnorm-codes/175/1 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

![|1x1](upload://xcjzfbLDGQ9Ycfw3fLV0RdA4Bve.gif)

System will not allow me to attach Excel spreadsheet lists of 2112 RxNorm codes (not an authorized file type) so I will send to Christian directly. We’ve done a random sample that shows them to be valid and available from the NLM RxNorm web site. Direct contact person is Gregory.Schulte@childrenscolorado.org

Michael

PS: Can the system be reconfigured to allow Excel file uploads?

Hi Michael,

I added the .xls and .xlsx Excel file extensions for forum files. Please try uploading the Excel file again to see if it works.

thanks,
Lee

Michael, Greg:

The RxNorm codes you are listing are not the equivalent of what is in the name column. In the name column, you have descriptions of drug products (looks like NDC descriptions to me, not RxNorm ones, they are highly normalized). In the column RxNorm you have RxNorm codes of the following types:

• PIN (precise ingredient) - those are the ones where the salt of the formulation is given, in addition to the active ingredient. We have those. If they are missing, they are new and will be in the upcoming release.
  • MIN (multiple ingredients). For example, for ‘DUTASTERIDE-TAMSULOSIN HCL 0.5-0.4 MG PO CAPS’ you are listing RxNorm 1001472 ‘Dutasteride / tamsulosin’. These are fixed combinations of ingredients. We currently do not support these, only the individual ingredients 228790 ‘Dutasteride’ and 77492 ‘tamsulosin’. There is an ongoing debate right now whether we should add fixed ingredient combinations. There are reasons pro and con. I will start a new Forum stream.
  • TMSY (trademarked synonyms) - mostly again of combinations. We don’t support those at all. Not sure we should.

What are you trying to do? Why are you doing your own RxNorm mapping?

Christian

Hi @Christian_Reich, what became of the multiple ingredient (MIN) inclusion as concepts?

@pwachira:

Not yet. We have too many construction sites with RxNorm and RxNorm Extension. But if you need to resolve your MINs we’ll be happy to send you a manual map to turn them into ingredients. For each record containing a MIN, you’d create as many records as it has ingredients, one for each. Let us know.

This is an old discussion but I am running into the same issue where I dont see the below listed
RxCUI in the concept table. I checked a few of these on the RxNAV web page RxNav and the codes seem valid and active.

“1422085” “2535748” “2283229” “1727493” “1368402” “2117292” “1727500” “2281864” “1992825” “647235” “606253” “900937” “1798280” “1656339”.

Can someone from OHDSI provide clarification on this? Thanks.

t