OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

ICD9 code for (general!) primary pulmonary hypertension gets mapped to SNOMED decendent of primary pulmonary hypertension

Hi,

Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) can be associated with the ICD9 code 416.0 and the ICD10 code I27.0 for primary pulmonary hypertension (However, if the PAH is due to other diseases, physicians may also use 416.8, I27.2 or I27.21). ICD codes do NOT distinguish between heritable and idiopathic forms of PAH; this level of granularity is not available.

We know that idiopathic PAH is much more frequent than heritable PAH. However, ATLAS always shows me unrealistically high numbers of heritable PAH records.
The reason is that 416.0 got mapped to heritable PAH instead of it’s anchor primary pulmonary hypertension. Can the mapping be changed? I’d suggest the following rule:

ICD9 to SNOMED: 416.0 --> “primary pulmonary arterial hypertension” (ID: 4013643, SNOMED code: 11399002)
ICD10 to SNOMED: I27.0 --> “primary pulmonary arterial hypertension” (ID: 4013643, SNOMED code: 11399002)

new ICD10 (Oct 2017 onwards) to SNOMED:
I27.21 --> “secondary pulmonary arterial hypertension” (new ID and SNOMED code)

Thanks!
Eva

Hello, @Eva-M

I looked through such mappings and saw the following:

• 416.0 mapped Primary pulmonary hypertension is mapped to 11399002 Pulmonary arterial hypertension
  • I27.0 Primary pulmonary hypertension is mapped to 11399002 Pulmonary arterial hypertension
  • I27.21 Secondary pulmonary arterial hypertension is mapped to 88223008 Secondary pulmonary hypertension

See the full list below:

I guess this fits with your suggestion. But I couldn’t understand how you figured out that 416.0 got mapped to heritable PAH. Could you clarify this, please?

Hi @Eva-M, @Polina_Talapova,

I think I can add some clarity here. @Eva-M is working within our Janssen environment where we are on the 2/1/2019 version of the vocabulary. @Polina_Talapova I assume you are using the most recent version, which is most likely the cause of the disconnect.

When I look in our vocabulary I see the mapping @Eva-M is talking about though I see the correction to the mapping when I look in Athena.

The good news is that we will be updating our vocabulary next month so this issue will be resolved soon.

Clair

1 Like

Hi Clair, hi Polina,
Thanks a lot for your quick responses and clarification. That’s good news!
All the best,
Eva

1 Like
t