OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

ICD10CM COVID-19 codes

Please see this important update from the Vocabulary team regarding covid-19 codes in source data. ETL’s will probably need to be updated to map to the correct standard concept_id.

@Christian_Reich,

Is there any further, formal OHDSI guidance for the M:1 from source ICD10CM codes to one standard concept_id transformation logic?

From the wiki: “It is the responsibility of the ETL to detect these combinations (both corresponding records on the same day) and map them according to the table below. Note that the CONCEPT_RELATIONSHIP table cannot support the mapping of post-coordinated to pre-coordinated Concepts and therefore does not contain this mapping information.”

" * Use the old mappings from the CONCEPT_RELATIONSHIP table for records from the pre-pandemic period

• Map codes recorded during the pandemic period to Standard Concepts below"

What date should we use to define “pre-pandemic period”? Should it differ by continent, country, state/providence? Or correspond to the date of the first positive covid-19 lab Measurement in the EHR? Any other ETL considerations?

FYI - @DTorok @ufuoma @jposada @Adam_Black @roger.carlson @burrowse

Depends where you are, and when you got the Covid patients coming in. I don’t know the answer. Maybe you want to ask your billing team. But my hunch is February 1st would be safe. The generic use of those codes is not very frequent.

1 Like

BTW: Looks like the CMS is now making folks to re-code Covid-19: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/icd/Announcement-New-ICD-code-for-coronavirus-3-18-2020.pdf. Looks like these guys are a little all over the place (" from October 1, 2020 to April 1, 2020"). Poor things. But my hunch they mean October 1, 2019 to April 1, 2020, which means they want the providers fix the coding to what the WHO recommends backwards in time. Or they want it going forward after April 1. Who knows. We will find out, so stay tuned.

Bottom line: ETL folks should either use the instructions about ICD10CM or ICD10 above, depending where the coding is.

Crazy times.

1 Like
t