OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Homework for OHDSI Community call 19Sept2023: Journal Club on 2023 ENCePP Guide on Methodological Standards in Pharmacoepidemiology

Friends:

On our 19Sept2023 OHDSI community call (11amET-12pmET), we will be doing a ‘virtual journal club’ to discuss an important document in the field that was recently updated: ENCePP Guide on Methodological Standards in Pharmacoepidemiology.

Prior to the session, I encourage you all to read the Guide, which is freely available here: ENCePP Home Page. The document is pretty comprehensive, so I’m posting this now to give you all sufficient lead time to read in the next month before our session together.

This Guide, now on its 11th revision, provides extremely helpful perspectives and references for many aspects of the journey from real-world data to reliable real-world evidence. While it aims to provide methodological guidance in pharmacoepidemiology, from the perspective of the European Network of Centres for Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacovigilance (ENCePP), this document is an extremely rich source of content for all practitioners aiming to conduct any type of clinical characterization, population-level estimation, or patient-level prediction analysis against their observational health data sources. It includes sections on study design, methods for addressing bias, validation of exposures and outcomes, research networks for multi-database studies, and strategies for meta-analysis.

Many friends in the OHDSI community contributed substantially to the current iteration of the EnCEPP guide, including Catherine Cohet as editor and co-authors @Daniel_Prieto @danielmorales @Luis_Pinheiro @xintongli @Albert_Prats @LiesbetPE @Gillian.Hall and others that I couldn’t find find their OHDSI handle. I am very appreciative that some of those who contributed to the document will join us for the discussion to share their perspectives on the current iteration and the future ahead. There are several OHDSI papers cited throughout; I think it is useful to see how our community is helping to inform the methodological discussions while also identifying the areas where there is still more work needed that we can contribute.

So, please read the ENCePP Guide. And we can use this Forum thread as a place to asynchronously capture comments and questions that we can raise during the community call together on 19Sept2023. I’m looking forward to the discussion!

2 Likes
t