Fasting and Random - LDL Cholestrol - Measurement Table

estimationmethods
metadata
cdm
patientprediction
vocabularies

(Selva Muthu Kumaran Sathappan) #1

Hello Everyone,

I have lab test results for LDL Cholestrol measurement. However along with values, I also have a information regarding whether the patient was fasting or not (random).

I don’t think Measurement table can accomodate this info. Any advice on how and where can I park this info and tie it to my measurement value?

I guess LDL measurement values varies based on whether food was had or not. Should it go to observation table?

Thanks
Selva

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #2

You can use these concepts to indicate random and fasting
4042758 Plasma random LDL cholesterol measurement
4041721 Plasma fasting LDL cholesterol measurement

(Mark Danese) #3

It is probably serum cholesterol and not plasma, so just be careful with using the right one.

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #4

Good point.
I have doubts about this as well.
actually, I don’t think there’s a difference, if you search in LOINC, it specifies both “Serum or plasma”
http://athena.ohdsi.org/search-terms/terms?standardConcept=Standard&conceptClass=Lab+Test&page=1&pageSize=15&query=ldl
But unfortunately LOINC doesn’t specify food intake state :frowning:

(Selva Muthu Kumaran Sathappan) #5

@Dymshyts and @Mark_Danese - Thank you for the response. The cholestrol measurement that I am dealing with is “Total Cholestrol”. Am not able to find any close match for this measurement. For LDL and HDL, Yes, I am able to find for fasting and Random. But for total cholestrol, I can’t find. I see the below item for “Fasting” but this is marked as a procedure class and not available for Random Cholestrol as well. Can we use this? I do’t wish to put the measurement_concept_id as 0(zero). is there any concepts that you are aware of?

Thanks
Selva

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #6

You’re welcome!

Don’t worry about concept_class. Domain defines the usage in the CDM tables.
And this concept has Measurement domain, so you can use it!

t