Data and use of source_to_concept_map table

estimationmethods
patientprediction
atlas
cdm
vocabularies

(Akshay Kumar) #1

Hello Everyone,

May I know why don’t we have any data for source_to_concept_map table in vocab files?

Currently our source_to_concept_map table is empty. Is it usually empty?

Is it only used to upload our custom concepts or we expected to see some source_to_concept mappings for OMOP concepts?

Am not sure I deleted the data by mistake. Where can I find the data for source_to_concept_map table if at all it exists else am I right to understand that it is only for our custom concepts?

Can someone shed some light on this?

(Anna Karenina) #2

Hello @Akshay,

source_to_concept_map is for custom mappings only. It doesn’t have any data by default, you can add your own source codes there and map them to standard concepts.

(Christian Reich) #3

@Akshay:

To extend what @rookie_crewkie is saying:

The SOURCE_TO_CONCEPT_MAP is a remnant from Version 4 of the CDM. Mapping in V5 or greater is done through “Maps to” relationships between the source Concepts and the Standard Concepts. Before that, there were no “source concepts”, only codes.

The reason we still have it is the ease with which mapping of local codes can be managed. You don’t have to create Concepts for every silly little source codes. Often times, these source codes aren’t even codes but short strings.

Bottom line: Use the table only for your own internal mapping purposes. Only the stuff not relevant to the network or analytics. In my opinion, there is no need to have this standardized anymore, and it can be made obsolete entirely in future versions.

t