OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Appropriate units for FEV1(3024653) & FEV1/FVC(3011505) Plausible Values

First off: I am unclear as to where this should be posted. So, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate category.

Looking for plausible values for Measurement Concept ID 3024653 (FEV1: LOINC 20150-9) and 3011505(FEV1/FVC: LOINC 19925-5), I found candidates in https://github.com/OHDSI/DataQualityDashboard/blob/441c9d643695b595d915f3b5e8d3cc3235ca085e/inst/csv/OMOP_CDMv5.4_Concept_Level.csv , at rows 858-863 and 567-570, respectively.

For both measures, I encounter values using various units, some of which puzzle me.

FEV1 is, as I understand, a volumetric measure, so liter(8519) and milliliter (8587) are expected. Also specified is a measure of rate, liter per minute (8698), a measure of length, inch(9330), ratio(8523) and percent(8554).

My guess is that ratio and percent might be included because the ratio of measured to predicted FEV1 is considered, but as I understand, that should actually be recorded as concept 3011708 (LOINC: 20152-5).

Similarly, for the ratio of FEV1 to FVC, I expect that the unit should be ratio(8523) and or perhaps, percent(8554). I have no guess as to how this ratio could be reported using a volumetric, liter(8519) or linear, inch(9330) unit of measure.

Am I misunderstanding something(s) and/or looking at the wrong file?

Thanks,
GP
plausible.xlsx (84.7 KB)

Hello,

Mapping has been performed on pulmonary function tests in our institution. This was done based on the values actually measured and collected.

You can find it at the link below.

(Sorry, some of it was written in Korean)

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply.

I see that you use Liter and Percent for FEV1 and FEV1/FVC, respectively. These units make sense to me.

My confusion concerns the Data Quality Dashboard table offering “plausible”
values using other units, such as inch (linear) and liter per min (rate).

I am curious as to why those other ranges are included in the table. This is not an urgent question. For our project at hand, I am advising our programmer to allow only for units appropriate to volume and ratio.

Hi Gerald @Pulver ,
I agree that this plausibility check might be a little off. Can you check with @clairblacketer if that could be adjusted in DQD?
thanks - mik

Hi Michael, @mik ,

Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you.

I imagine that your mentioning of @clairblacketer’s handle in your reply served as checking-in with her. :slightly_smiling_face: .

Best regards,
GP

t