OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Anyone Aware of OMOP ResDAC CMS (Medicare) Mappings?

Hi all!

Is anyone aware of any OMOP Mappings made using Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) data? I am in particular using the following MAX files provisioned by ResDAC:

1. MAX Personal Summary File - file contains one record for every individual eligible for and enrolled in Medicaid for at least one month or who had a Medicaid-paid service within the file year.

2. MAX Inpatient File - contains complete stay records for enrollees who had an inpatient hospital stay. Records include fee-for-service (FFS) claims and encounter records submitted for stays covered by Medicaid managed care.

3. MAX Other Services File - contains claim records for a variety of Medicaid services, including physician services, outpatient hospital institutional utilization, lab/X-ray, clinic services, home health, hospice and premium payments.

4. MAX Prescription Drug File - includes records of filled prescriptions from fee-for-service (FFS) claims paid by Medicaid and encounter records for prescription drugs paid by a Medicaid managed care organization.

Thank you for any leads/insight!!!

~ tcp :deciduous_tree:

I don’t think there is a ready specific solution for this type of format. However, if codes used in this files belong to usual CMS vocabularies (ICD10CM, ICD10PCS, NDC - this one is specifically mentioned in MAX Prescription Drug File specifications), you could use existing ‘Maps to’ relations in CONCEPT_RELATIONSHIP table.

Athena hosts downolads for the most recent vocabulary version. You should be able to match source fields directly to CONCEPT_CODE, with possible necessity to assume VOCABULARY_ID.

1 Like

This is a great idea @Eduard_Korchmar - wasn’t aware of the Athena tool but that seems like a great first step to explore.

I’ll experiment with this to see how it works for the work we are doing. Thanks!

In 2015, I and @Vojtech_Huser presented at the OHDSI Annual Symposium a poster about converting CMS Virtual Research Data Center (ResDAC VRDC) data to OMOP CDM version 5.0.

The poster is here:
Kury, Huser - OHDSI 2015 - Poster Slide (ohdsi.org)

The accompanying source code is here:
fabkury/cms_vrdc_etl: CMS Virtual Research Data Center (VRDC) ETL to the OHDSI Common Data Model v5 (github.com)

This was 2015, so it is most likely dated by now. In short, the code uses SAS macros to generate SQL queries that create CDM v5 tables as SQL views of the VRDC data. It is not sophisticated ETL, but the poster explains a few points in support of that approach given the VRDC environment (as it existed in 2015), and the computational performance for materializing the views as actual tables was not bad.

1 Like

This is excellent! At this time, I do not have any questions, but this is a great starting point. I will post back if I have additional questions in the future.

t