OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

2019 OHDSI F2F in Cleveland, June 2-4, 2019

Hello all,

We are really looking forward to hosting the 2019 OHDSI F2F at the beginning of June. Below is the email that I have sent out locally to all of our 4 major hospitals and to the CWRU community. We have already generated local interest via an OHDSI workshop held earlier this year (links to videos below) and via an introduction to Athena and ATLAS for first year medical students (lecture and hands-on session). We hope to see many of you in Cleveland in a few short weeks!

Best regards,
Mark Beno
Case Western Reserve University - Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology

Dear Colleagues,

You have heard us talk about the international OHDSI collaborative and the OMOP common data model used to organize, harmonize, and standardize electronic health data that would otherwise exist in silos. We are pleased to announce that the 2019 OHDSI Face-2-Face Meeting is being hosted by the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology on June 2-4, 2019 in the Wolstein Research Building.

This event will kick-off with a late afternoon public talk by OHDSI leadership followed by dinner on Sunday, June 2. The two days that follow will be a working meeting where participants will break up into groups for the purpose of contributing to the forthcoming Book of OHDSI . The overall study topic/example will be Hypertension .

We invite everyone to attend the public talk and dinner to learn more about the important work being done by OHDSI, including that of the Cleveland collaborators. Those of you who want to learn even more about OHDSI/OMOP are more than welcome to attend and contribute to the 2-day working meeting on June 3 and 4. The goal is to make our work accessible to all stakeholders.

Registration for both events is required and can be accessed here: https://forms.gle/knTiHFPaUug9FmxKA

A full agenda is here (with a registration link at the bottom of the page): https://www.ohdsi.org/events/2019-ohdsi-face-to-face/

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions, and please feel free to forward to others who may also be interested.

Best regards and hope that many of you can attend,

Mark

P.S. CICB and OHDSI 2-Day Workshop Videos Now Available Online

The videos for the CICB hosted OHDSI OMOP Common Data Model and ATLAS tools workshop, attended by over 40 clinicians and researchers from CWRU and all of the local Cleveland healthcare systems, are now posted online here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBELrG1nZ2U6wM-o5YPx77-0tZ4EEwX9B

Team:

I want to give a big thank you to @benomark and @PaolaSaroufim and the entire CICB team for hosting the OHDSI community this week for our face-to-face Documentation-a-thon. It was great to see so many friendly faces from around the world, newcomers and old-timers from academia, health systems, pharmaceutical companies, and technology providers coming together to develop community resources to expand adoption of the OHDSI best practices and open-source analytics tools. I was really impressed with how much tangible progress we made toward our shared goal of producing the Book of OHDSI; for example, together we created more user documentation for ATLAS in 2.5 days than I had been able to create over the last 2.5 years. It’s a true testament to the power of community collaboration.

For those interested in seeing some of the work-in-progress, we created Google docs during each breakout to collaboratively generate content, and then got volunteers to lead the next step of smoothing out the document and creating the final content that will be ported into rmarkdown into the Book Of OHDSI ( http://book.ohdsi.org). Thanks again to @David_Madigan and @schuemie for coordinating and editing the book on behalf of the community.

@CraigSachson made a nice video to summarize the event and posted it on OHDSI’s youtube channel: https://youtu.be/0jDTTW5nUyI . A good 3 minutes to help those wondering what really happens at a F2F and to encourage more to join the journey in future events.

Cheers,

Patrick

4 Likes

Patrick and everyone,

We were thrilled to have hosted, and looking forward to continuing the journey, as well as seeing everyone at the symposium this fall!
I would like to also thank Tuesday Gibson, our department assistant, who coordinated all of the logistics. She ensured that everything went smoothly.
Finally, I sincerely hope that no one else (sorry Christian) had the misfortune of being stuck in an elevator while in Cleveland! :slight_smile:

Best,

Mark

2 Likes

It truly was great to be part of this experience - meeting more faces and having all of us document in a collaborative effort was amazing.
Put me down to help with the next stage of document smoothing and final content :+1:

PS - Christian has a knack of getting stuck in elevators or rotating doors :smile:

Let me also very strongly thank @benomark and @PaolaSaroufim and the team for a wonderful face-to-face. Their hospitality was phenomenal, and we got a lot of real work done. And it is always so helpful to see each other in person and to meet some of the local stakeholders.

1 Like

Agreed. Was concrete, meaningful, well organized and useful.

And no, @sseager, I never got stuck in an elevator in my life before. And it was just like I expected: Boring and annoying. And, in contrast what you assume, there is no trap door in the roof of the elevator car through which you could climb out, like in the movies. You are really stuck in a box.

2 Likes

But @Christian_Reich you do have a habit of stopping those rotating doors :smile:
I’m disappointed - I expected you to climb out Bruce Willis style - white vest and all :joy:

1 Like

Hi everybody,
I wanted to offer my editing assistance to everybody who is handling a specific chapter from the F2F … if anybody would like me to look over a finalized chapter version or a specific section for editing/clarity purposes, please shoot me an email (sachson@ohdsi.org).

I tried tagging everybody, but new users can only tag 2 at a time. Rookie problems!

Thanks,
Craig

t