OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Welcome to OHDSI! - Please introduce yourself

Hey Chistian, Yes:

"The samples are processed using a custom geno-typing array that in addition to normal GWAS markers combines Finnish enriched markers,markers specific to the human leukocyte antigen (HLA) region, pharmacogenomic markersand markers from the industrial partners. In total, the array contains 736,145 probes thatcan genotype 655,973 markers. "

[http://urn.fi/URN:NBN:fi:aalto-201912226578]

Oh. That’s a lot of markers. You want to bring them all into the OMOP CDM? On average, a patient in our databases have one thousand records or two. Now you’d create a few patients (how many, actually?) with 700k records. You’d turn a tall database into a wide one. The methods may not work, either because of performance or because of statistics failing.

Thoughts?

This is Robert Yerex in Eden Prairie, MN. I am a Senior Data Scientist and Principal Engineer at Optum, part of United Health Group (UHG). I work in R&D and am currently on a project involving using graph DBs to organize and access patient data.

Robert - welcome to OHDSI!

Graph DB sounds very interesting! Would be interested in learning more about your approach.

I am looking into how to apply the CDM to a graph model so that I can make use of the analysis tools. I’ll try to keep updating my progress. :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Chistian,

At the moment I have only converted the phenotype data to the CDM (224.580 patients so far, aim is 500.000, 10% of the Finland population). We haven’t yet plan how to include the gennetic information into the CDM. I saw some conversations but there is not yet an standarised way to do this [Genomic Data in the CDM].
Is this the case, or have I missed the CDM’s standars for gennetic data??

Regards

Hello everyone! My name is Diana! I recently joined the OHDSI community and had attended several OHDSI collaborative meetings. I am excited to hear all the cool projects being studied in the OHDSI. I currently work for Dr. Lisa Schilling at the University of Colorado, also working on many cool projects. I have a Masters of Public Health degree concentrating on Epidemiology and Applied Biostatistics. I can use R/R studio, python, SAS, and SQL in SAS. I have some knowledge in project managing! Overall, I am happy to be a part of OHDSI and am excited to be learning so much here. I hope to learn more from everyone!! On my leisure time, I like to run and participate in races, rock climb, martial arts, read/write, and learn new languages. I am also a certified tutor and am part of a language exchange program. I help many students domestically/locally and from many different countries with test prep, science or mathematics, and English, while also learning something from them!

1 Like

Welcome to OHDSI, Diana!

I consult with Health Data Compass at the University of Colorado. And I also support Lisa Schilling and the FDA BEST project there. I look forward to partnering with you on the BEST project. Please feel free to reach out with any OHDSI, EHR or UCD questions :slight_smile:

Hi all, my name is Spyros Kolovos, I work as a health economist at the University of Oxford. Currently, my focus is on musculoskeletal diseases, including rare diseases such as multiple myeloma. I have previously worked on depression and internet-based psychological treatments. The past two years I have been using R to analyse routinely-collected data from UK. I am originally form Greece, but I have been living abroad for the past 10 years.

Thank you for the welcome! David Stumpf here … I’m a Professor Emeritus at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine (NUFSM; Chicago, IL, USA). Resume is at http://woodstockhit.com/stumpf_resume.html. I’m a physician retired from practice but active in mentoring early stage companies as an innovation broker. I’m board certified in neurology, pediatrics and clinical informatics. My interest in OHDSI evolves from a Parkinson Disease project under development at NUFSM which will involve EU and US collaborators. My personal interests concern native graph databases (e.g., Neo4j), network analytics (provider social networks, co-morbidities, etc.) and workflows (event detection, task creation, accountabilities and outcomes, etc.). On the side, I’m a genetic genealogist who works with graph methods to connect genetic family trees to those created from historical data.

I look forward to learning from and conributing to OHDSI!

Hi everyone, I’m a pharmacy student at University of Illinois at Chicago who does research with HemOnc.org (currently partnering with OHDSI). Due to COVID-19, I would like to help where I can, e.g. literature reviews. I could also potentially help with analytical tasks (Python, SQL, some R). Please let me know where I can contribute. Thanks!

Hello OHDSI community!

My name is Anthony. I have been working with OMOP CDM and FHIR resources for about three years (in the US and in France) but never took the time to introduce myself. The current situation made me think it might be a good idea to do so!

As I am more a Python guy, I have been working on a little package (far from being perfect): https://github.com/synaps-tech/rwd_analytics. It needs a bit of documentation though!

Previously, I have also been working on a package to transform MarketScan, Flatiron, IQVIA data using only Python and Dask.

I hope I can support the amazing work you guys are doing with OHDSI!

Anthony

1 Like

Hello all-- I’ve been lurking for some time now, but I thought it may be a good time to introduce myself. I’m a professor in Interactive Arts and Technology at Simon Fraser U. where I teach cognitive approaches to interaction design in rich media systems. My research focus is visual analytics, which takes a cognitive science perspective on the design of interactive information visualization systems for analysis, planning, and individual and group decision-making. I spent a good deal of time focusing on interoperability in emergency planning and response with Canada’s PSTP and the US DHS VACCINE centre. More recently I’ve been applying what I learned to health care with VGH Child and Family Research Network and Molecular You, a personalized health startup. I’d be interested in contributing to the design of data visualizations and methods for working with them.

Hello guys! I’ve been browsing OHDSI and watching OHDSI online videos for quite a while…I also participated in translation of Book of OHDSI into Chinese…so now I can introduce myself as a fan of OHDSI. I’m a clinical pharmacist in Shuguang Hospital in Shanghai, China. I also do research work in clinical pharmacology. I love the idea of standard vocabulary the OHDSI worked on cuz same issue in clinical pharmacology, sometimes we are only using our own data and doing repetitive work that other have already done, and I wonder could we do better if we just accord with each other first…Look forward to hear more and learn more from you all!
Regards.

Hello everyone,

I am an Epidemiologist and currently working as Observational Study Scientist at Actelion/Janssen in Switzerland.

Last year I’ve been involved to transform our observational study data to the OMOP CDM and it was quite a unique and exciting experience for me. Since them I am very keen to learn more about the OHDSI world, get involved in exciting projects (COVID-19 virtual study-a-thon) and meet new people.

In my free time I enjoy travelling, spending time in nature & mountains (hiking, skiing) and reading.

Hello OHDSI Community! I am an Obstetrician-gynecologist physician researcher at Johnson & Johnson in the Women’s Health Group. I am in charge of data insights to drive changes in the health care of women, to improve the health of women. I’ve heard great things about what OHDSI can offer. Looking forward to contributing more and learning from the community. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I am Christina Zhou and I am a biostatistician at Janssen regulatory affairs in Canada on RWE projects. I’m currently responsible for methodology design and data management. I did double majors in statistics and pharmacology during my undergrad at University of Toronto and then completed my master degree in biostatistics at UofT last year in November. I found out OHDSI through @jesse and Jamie Weaver who are both fantastic researchers in observational studies.

I’m especially interested in observational studies and had past experience in Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS) data and EHR from hospitals on several academic studies to improve community’s willingness on living donor kidney transplant. I’m currently focusing on growing knowledge on observational studies by applying data science techniques and at the same time broaden my expertise into epidemiology to improve global health.

I code in R well, and still learning python. I’m interested in predictive modeling on early intervention or early detection of disease, as well as identifying patients of interest to improve personalized treatment. I’m also interested in learning how to use existing observational data to have an impact on healthcare policy and decision making to let more people accessible to treatments.

In my spare time, I do hiking, ultimate frisbee, photography, yoga, piano and visiting art museums. I grew up in Shanghai and is currently living in Toronto for almost 6 years.

I’m excited to join the community with all the great researchers and contribute myself to any ongoing studies to improve our healthcare systems and be able to use the results of the studies to help those in need and enhance their quality of life. I am willing to learn as much as possible and I look forward to the journey here at OHDSI.

Best,
Christina

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been following OHDSI from afar since it was formed and just started posting yesterday. I was involved in developing the original business plan for the Observational Medical Outcomes Partnership (OMOP) when I was VP for Scientific and Regulatory Affairs at PhRMA. We started on this in 2005 and as project manager I brought it to fruition in the spring of 2008, following about 14 months of stakeholder meetings and getting the initial $20M funding from PhRMA companies. i have been a strong believer in the use of observational data to examine both safety and efficacy signals.

Along with a cohort of other retired pharma company scientists, I have been tracking both drug modeling and clinical responses to the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) pandemic. Most of my career was in regulatory affairs with a little bit in drug safety. I’m retired from consulting these days so I’m going to be more of an observer than a participant.

Hi all,

I’m Rohan Kodialam, a graduate student working in Machine Learning under David Sontag at MIT. My focus is on building models to help with medical prediction tasks, in particular using novel featurizations of claims data (which we’re trying to get moved to the OMOP format).

I’m very excited to work with this community – so much work in ML and data science in healthcare is underpinned by OHDSI’s amazing work in building a standardized and understandable way to store information.

We’re currently working on building a general-purpose prediction library in Python to streamline the process of featurizing OMOP standard healthcare data and pushing it through a variety of ML models – you can see our project here. If you have any interest in using such a tool, please feel free to reach out to me at kodialam@mit.edu, we’d really appreciate having community input and feedback in our work.

1 Like

Hi All,
My name is Shyju KT, I have been working in healthcare domain for last 20+ years , mainly designing and developing HIS software for Govt. & private organizations. Currently, my focus is on developing a cloud based community healthcare software which can be used by small to large heathcare facilities for end-to-end management of the facility including clinical,financial , inventory modules.
Idea is to provide a repository with REST based API’s so that anyone can develop the front end in their own way. The resulting data will be easy to port as the data is stored in a standard way which can be converted to various formats like FHIR.

I believe OHDSI CDM can help in designing the data repository in a concept based manner. Shall keep you posted the developments.
Thank you for accommodating me into this wonderful community and I really would like to contribute in whatever possible ways.

Thank you

t