OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

SNOMED codes related to organ transplant and their related domain

Hi,

We are working on mapping transplant registry information to OMOP. One of the fields in the registry specifies the organ transplanted in greater detail (i.e., whole organ, partial organ, clustered, etc). We were thinking of using some of the SNOMED codes under “Tissue graft (261571005)”. Specifically, we were looking at “Pancreas graft - whole organ (422302004)”, but it is mapped to the device domain. It seems like most SNOMED codes under 261571005 are in the device domain. Would you suggest another code I should use or should these codes under 261571005 be in the observation domain?

Yes, they are “Devices”, because their hierarchical “parent” is “413677009 - body tissue surgical material” actually,
and they also meet Device criteria mentioned here:
http://www.ohdsi.org/web/wiki/doku.php?id=documentation:vocabulary:device

@Christian_Reich, should we rethink definition of Domains for these transplant registry things?

We could. But what’s the problem with calling it a device? What would you call it, @Sylvia_Cho?

I was thinking grafts should be Domain = ‘Spec Anatomic Site’, Concept class = ‘Body Structure’ because grafts/organs are body parts. But based on what @Dymshyts wrote, I now have a better sense of why it is classified as a ‘Device’.

Thank you @Dymshyts and @Christian_Reich for your help!

1 Like
t