OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Readmission detection

I am developing a pyspark framework related to cohort selection and readmission detection. This will be used to reproduce the Surgeon Scorecard developed by Pro Publica. It will be an open source app that I want to publish to OHDSI.

I have a set of icd9 codes that indicate a diagnosis and a set of icd9 codes that indicate redadmittance for that diagnosis. I find these codes in the condition_occurrence table though I am not sure if that is the only table I need to look at? I am wondering how the procedure_occurrence table relates to these?

Are there are published codes or pseudo code for readmission detection on the medicare or OMOP data format? Or are all these proprietary?

@Michael_Shamberger:

Not sure about the question of whether anybody has done it, but we would clearly welcome such a contribution.

ICD9 codes and where they live: Most of them are conditions, but some are Procedures and Observations. You can find out by checking the concept_class_id for each of their respective Concepts in the vocabulary. If it contains “Condition” the record is in the CONDITION_OCCURRENCE table, “Produre” in the PROCEDURE_OCCURRENCE table, and so on. If they have two meanings pre-coordinated it will say “Condition/Procedure”, and then you find the mapped Concept in both.

Let me know if that doesn’t help you.

t