OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Read codes mapped to CVX vocabulary

From my understanding Read codes are used in the UK. CVX codes are for vaccines available in the US. I noticed in the most recent vocabulary release, many Read codes for drugs are mapped to CVX. I just want to confirm these drug mappings are intended and usable in the CDM when working with data from the UK.

Example:
Read code 65FN.00 is mapped to concept_id 40213251, a concept in the CVX vocabulary.

Oh, that’s a nice question.
Most of these CVX vaccines are used worldwide also, for example “40213251 varicella virus vaccine”, so we decide to use CVX as a standard vocabulary.
Actually, the same situation exists for other drugs when they are mapped to RxNorm (also US database, but we map to its concepts when they are the same in US and other countries (like UK for THIN))

That’s what I was thinking as well but its nice to get a second opinion before uprooting our “it always maps to RxNorm” logic. Thanks for the input Dmytry.

@Manan:

That is a faux rule anyway. It’s a good rule of thumb. The official rule is “It always maps to a Standard Concept”. We could tomorrow decide to kick out RxNorm and replace it with, say, NDC. (Will not happen!).

Am I following this right – CVX has become the new standard concepts for vaccines, replacing RxNorm? Does the latest version of the vocabularies reflect this (I’m getting timeout errors from the Athena web site and no CVX codes shows up on the vocabulary version on the Atlas demo site so I’m stuck on figuring this out by myself).

Yes, CVX has become the new standard concepts for vaccines, but it doesn’t replace RxNorm.
In some cases you can’t use RxNorm concepts because of their granularity. That’s why we added CVX.
So both CVX and RxNorm vaccines concepts are standard.

t