OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Mapping labs to LOINC codes where method matters

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has mapped labs that could have multiple methods into LOINC codes. We are trying to map our local labs at Northwestern to LOINCs but are having issues with autoimmune labs where one lab could have multiple methods and therefore we are seeing multiple types of results in one lab.

Thanks,
Anika

Hi Anika,

I’m not sure I understand the problem. Please give an example.

Melanie

We are trying to map our local labs into LOINC terms since that’s how OMOP wants them to be. However we are having trouble mapping labs where the “method” matters. For example an ANA lab can be done by immunoassay or immunofluorescence but how do we differentiate when all we have is the value of the lab. We don’t have they type of “method” used for the lab in our EPIC databases or CERNER databases. I was wondering how other institutions have mapped labs to LOINC terms where the “method” mattered.

Thanks,
Anika

At first glance, LOINC has the descriptions that are sufficient enough to cover your needs. For instance,
5048-4 Nuclear Ab [Titer] in Serum by Immunofluorescence or 40655-3 Nuclear Ab [Titer] in Serum by Immunoassay.
It might be more complicated if you don’t know the specimen; for some of the tests generic ‘Body fluid’ or ‘Unspecified specimen’ can be used.

@aostropolets, seems that @anikaghosh have just “ANA” in the source, and they can’t choose between

So, in such a cases we map to a more generic SNONED concept
4234268 ANA measurement

t