OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Enasidenib and Cholangiocarcinoma

Do any of the partner sites have patients who have Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma (icd10=C22.1, icd9=155.1, Concept IDs 4166154, 4321680, 4208660), had an IDH2 mutation, and were treated with Enasidenib (RXCUI = 1940370)?

Just knowing the counts of patients with Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma, who had an IDH2 mutation, or who had Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma and were treated with Enasidenib would also be highly useful. @hripcsa, @pbiondich, @Patrick_Ryan

Do you have a cohort def in the public Atlas we can copy and paste?

No. Because Enasidenib isnā€™t in the vocabulary. The IDH2 mutation is a text search. So thatā€™s why posted on forum.

No? Enasidenib has been there since February. Or do you mean IDH2? But that, too, is there.

Hi @nigam:

I created a cohort definition to explore the question you posed, and put it out onto the public ATLAS instance: http://www.ohdsi.org/web/atlas/#/cohortdefinition/1769438

Briefly, I looked for persons with a condition occurrence of ā€˜intrahepatic cholangiocarcinomaā€™ (and our standard concepts cover the ICD9/10 codes you mention), a drug exposure of ā€˜enasidenibā€™ (which has a standard concept in the vocab at ingredient level and various clinical drug concepts), and a IDH observation (which could include procedure to perform genetic panel or observation of a mutation).

I ran this cohort across my databases to assess feasibility for you. I do see a fair number of ā€˜intrahepatic cholangiocarcinomaā€™ cases (ranging from the hundreds to thousands across various databases), but I donā€™t see any of these patients with exposure to enasidenib.

I created a separate cohort to look at new users of enasidenib: http://www.ohdsi.org/web/atlas/#/cohortdefinition/1769439

there I saw that there are very few number of exposures to this drug in general: <30 persons in all databases that I have access to.

I see this drug was only approved in Aug2017, for the indication of AML. Given the recency of the drug and the off-label use you are looking for, I suppose it makes sense why I donā€™t see cases. But perhaps others in the community could run these same cohorts to see if they have been lucky in helping than I do.

1 Like

So seems like I need some basic tools training. I was searching ATLAS ā€¦ and the public version would not even let me search. So I used our Stanford internal instance, and concept search in ATLAS didnā€™t return Enasidenib. So blame it on user error!

Thanks Patrick. For some reason, I canā€™t use the public instance anymore. Searching concepts, http://www.ohdsi.org/web/atlas/#/search, works (thatā€™s how I got the concept IDs) ā€¦ but accessing a cohort gets me ā€œThis feature is protected. Please, log in.ā€ So I canā€™t see cohort: 1769438; and canā€™t create them either.

In our internal searches, same results as you report. Reasonable number with the condition. None on condition+drug. There are exposures, but mostly for the approved use for AML.

This is for a real patient as you can imagine. So thank you for taking the time!

@nigam:

Almost no cases either, with a total of 120k Cholangiocarcinoma patients in 3 US databases, covering half the country. Only 553 patients who got the drug. Practically all of them have leukemia. I donā€™t think you have a case for this off-label use.

Thanks for looking into this @Christian_Reich. Well, very soon there might be one case. I was hoping someone, somewhere had tried Enasidenib for a cholangiocarcinoma (esp. one that harbored an IDH2 mutation) and that experience might inform the next case. There is a trial that finished recruiting in 2016. So there have to be cases. We arenā€™t able to reach them yet!.

@nigam: Oh. Thatā€™s a very different question. We have 12 such patients in our Open Claims database (but without the IDH measurement, at least not in the claims). However, we must not re-identify them.

What do you want to do?

Just trying to get a sense of ā€œwhat happenedā€ when Enasidenib is to treat Cholangiocarcinoma (esp. one with an IDH2 mutation). 12 patients (sans the IDH2) is the max we have heard so far. We donā€™t need to reach them as in recontact. Just need to see the de-identified summary data to understand if the treatment did any good, was there harm, was there benefit. A descriptive summary of what happened to similar cases is what I am trying to get (to share with the treating physician of the case that triggered this question).

t