One of the items discussed in THEMIS however maybe didn't have a specific forum post was do we allow events to fall out of observations periods?
Here is what we are currently recommending:
1. Events CAN fall out of observation period.
2. Payer plan period should be used to capture coverage (including partial e.g. Medicare part D) and can overlap with the observation period.
3. Every patient must have at least one observation period.
1. not use time outside of an observation period for identifying people.
2. to ensure quality do not use events outside of an observation period for an analysis.
3. if patients do not meet criteria for observation period (e.g. have partial Medicare D coverage), create an alternative CDM that allows for them to fall in OBSERVABLE_TIME.
Update CDM Wiki for OBSERVATION_PERIOD to discussion in the conventions.