OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Coordination of Benefits in CDM 6.0

Hello!

I am trying to use Cost table of CDM 6.0

I have the following fields in one source record - cob, coins, copay, deductible, netpayment, totalpayment,
where the following is generally true: totalpayment = cob + coins + copay + deductible + netpayment

I am mostly interested in how to convert (what will be cost_concept_id and cost_type_concept_id for):

1. cob (coordination of benefits) - amount paid by some secondary payer
  2. netpayment - amount paid by primary payer
  3. Is it necessary to create a separate record for total payment?

Could anyone please advise?

Cost_concept_id: concepts for copay, deductible, netpayment etc
Cost_type_concept_id: _ type_concept_id is for provenance like EHR, claims etc.

COB (primary payer, secondary payer) would be the cost_type_concept_id

Depends on your source data.

Gawtham, thank you for the quick reply!
I am a bit confused about type concepts from Cost Type vocabulary because currently they mean the system the record comes from.

Have I understood you right that for cob variable I should use ‘Payer system (Secondary payer)’ type concept despite the fact that the source record resides in Primary payer system?

Both of these type concepts represent provenance of data. If the payer system is primary, i would use primary payer; otherwise secondary payer

http://athena.ohdsi.org/search-terms/terms/31969
http://athena.ohdsi.org/search-terms/terms/31968

Both these variables (cob and netpayment) reside in the system of primary payer. But if I use Primary both for cob and netpayment then will it be possible to distinguish them after the conversion? They both will be represented as ‘Paid’ concept_id + ‘Payer system (primary payer)’ type_concept_id. I am a bit confused here.

@nzvyagina if you have two payers for a single visit record, one is primary and second is secondary - you can distinguish the records originating from those two different payer systems using the data provenance field cost.cost_type_concept_id (as discussed above).

For each of the payers, you can differentiate the various types of financial transactions (paid, allowed, charged etc) using cost.cost_concept_id field.

Gowtham, thank you very much! It is getting clearer now!

t