OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Welcome to OHDSI! - Please introduce yourself

Hi everyone,

My name is Yiye Zhang and I am an assistant professor in Health Informatics at Weill Cornell. I was very fascinated by the recent paper “Characterizing treatment pathways at scale using the OHDSI network.”
One of my research interests is on learning and visualizing clinical pathways of patients with chronic conditions.

I look forward to meeting you all some time soon.

Hi All,

I’m Jessica Mounessa and I am a fourth year medical student currently conducting a year of research in the field of dermato-epidemiology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine - Anschutz Medical Campus. I am working with Renee Domozych and Stephanie Chapman under the mentorship of Dr. Lisa Schilling and Dr. Robert P. Dellavalle, We are collaborating with the OHDSI community to investigate general practitioner and dermatologist concordance with antibiotic prescription guidelines within the U.S. and internationally. This project could potentially identify help us address complications in treating acne, an extremely common skin disease.

In my spare time, I enjoy running, hiking in Colorado, yoga, and cooking.

We thank you all for this opportunity and look forward to the next steps!

Hi. I am Shawn Dolley. I work at Cloudera as their Industry Leader for Health & Life Science. I first experienced OMOP in 2008 when OHDSI was not involved, and in those days there was quite a rivalry between FDA Mini-Sentinel and OMOP to see which would become the global standard for longitudinal/observational data model for outcomes! In the early days it was Tom Scarnecchia and Patrick Ryan and a few others. In early 2010’s I lost touch and now am back. Cloudera is the largest provider of Big Data (e.g. Hadoop, Spark) software in the world and we have a number of customers who use and many more who need OMOP. We would like to do more to enable folks who want a non-relational approach to OMOP, and we’d like to learn about the other OHDSI projects beyond OMOP. Nice to see such a large and vibrant group.

Hi!

My name is Renee Domozych, and I am a fourth year medical student in Florida. I have been working on research related to dermatology and dermatoepidemology for the past three years. I recently performed a research rotation at the University of Colorado School of Medicine-Anschutz Medical Campus where I had the pleasure of working with Dr. Lisa Schilling, Dr. Robert P. Dellavalle, Stephanie Chapman, and Jessica Mounessa. We are fascinated by the work of OHDSI community and interested in collaborating to investigate general practitioner and dermatologist concordance with antibiotic prescription guidelines within the U.S. and internationally. We are excited to learn more and begin to contribute to and collaborate with this wonderful group. Thank you and we look forward to getting involved!

Hi all,

My name is Stephanie and I’m currently a 4th year medical student in Michigan. I recently had the pleasure of completing a research month in Dermatoepidemiology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine- Anschutz Medical Campus. I’m currently working with Dr. Lisa Schilling, Dr. Robert P. Dellavalle, Jessica, and Renee to study concordance among general practitioners and dermatologists with current acne treatment guidelines with the help of OHDSI. We would like to include data from physicians in the U.S and internationally and focus on the prescription of antibiotics for the treatment of acne. From what I’ve learned so far this community does wonderful work. We can’t wait to be a part of the OHSDI community. Thank you!

Hello everyone! Our team is eager to collaborate with the OHDSI community on our study, but we are having trouble with the template. We can’t seem to figure out how to edit/type into the document. Please let us know if you would be able to help us out with this. My email is jessica.mounessa@ucdenver.edu. Thank you in advance!

I was blown away by the community today at the OHDSI Symposium 2016!! Thank you so much for all the fantastic and inclusive work!
For more than 3 years, I have been working for a major health plan - with responsibility around advanced analytics. My introduction to research informatics came in 2008, when as a medical resident I watched cardiologists using data extracts from Cerner EHR systems to do research. This excited me, as it brought my passion for computers and healthcare together. I joined VA hospital as a researcher – but the actual process of extracting and wrangling the data to answer the research question using SQL and SAS was painful! Today – watching how the OHDSI community has pretty much solved it thru data standardization, process standardization and transparency – was very exciting!
I want to be part of the OHDSI community; I am a board certified in preventive medicine and clinical informatics along with a PhD in Epidemiology. I can also hack code in Python and R. I want to bring experience from the point of view of a health plan serving the needs for large number of members.

1 Like

Welcome @Gowtham_Rao, we’re delighted you’ve joined the journey, and
looking forward to collaborating with you. First steps, lets get your
database converted to OMOP CDM…then we can start using that data to
generate reliable evidence!

Cheers,

Patrick

Hi everyone, I’m Dan Thayer, a senior research analyst with the SAIL Databank. SAIL is a research repository of anonymised, linked health data covering the population of Wales (UK).

One of my particular interests is developing tools and methods to support faster, higher quality analysis of health data, so I was very interested to hear about this project, and I hope to find out more.

Hello everyone,

I’m Jonathan Silverberg. I am an assistant professor in dermatology, preventive medicine and medical social sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. My research interests lie in the area of epidemiology and health services related to dermatology, particularly chronic inflammatory skin diseases. I just learned about OHDSI from Lisa Shilling at the International Dermatoepidemiology Association meeting in Aurora, CO. OHDSI sounds like a remarkable community and I would love to collaborate on future projects.

Best, Jonathan

Hello! My name is Tom Petrillo. I am statistician with past experience in financial trading. In the past couple months I have become very interested in exploring medical informatics as a way to utilize my experiences with big data analysis. I am very interested in research on laboratory utilization, specifically reducing waste in lab tests ordering along with optimizing blood bank management. I am likely a neophyte as I have been tooling around with the MIMIC III dataset to attack this problem over the last month or two. I am interested in ideas along these lines, and, more importantly, access to data that while anonymized allows for the evaluation of overall facility usage labs/products on a fixed interval of time (e.g. one day).

My name is Ed Acker. My day job is Life Sciences Innovation Consulting. I help companies navigate the risk-laden path of change by balancing tactical and strategic initiatives within a framework of continuous learning. This involves using a variety of methods (mind-mapping, data modeling, ontologies, prototypes, data animation, partnerships) along with the continuous learning framework and my research on individual differences in information processing styles to help users and IT create a shared vision of innovation. One such effort used OMOP (CDM, Standard Vocabulary, ETL and analytics), clinicaltrials.gov, genetics databases, PubMed, FuzzyLogix, SAS, R and Protoge to prototype an drug treatment insight discovery platform.

How would I like to contribute to the OHDSI community? I’m a Cognitive Psychologist with extensive IT knowledge and experience interested in working with clinicians and scientists to find more effective treatments for psychological problems - especially childhood Autism. I really enjoy being part of a highly passionate, confident and creative team of professionals who are driven to move innovation forward. I like to quickly take innovation ideas to the point where both users and IT can assess its value.

My personal interests include: ice hockey, tennis, music and multimedia presentation.

My name is Tracy Korman and I am a Managing Partner at Health Data Sciences Group, LLC (HealthDSG) where we provide data-driven and risk-informed strategies and capabilities for payers, providers and service companies. Currently we are working with a major IDN as it enters into value-based risk contracts and adopts population health strategies. We are also working with a dozen Medicaid, Medicare, and commercial health plans to help them reduce their Medical Loss Ratios through precision targeted population interventions driven by multi-faceted risk models. We are also working with a number of young and growing service businesses to develop their algorithms, define methodologies for measuring their program value and impact, and drive outcome through better data sciences strategies and practices.

I lead our Strategy and Innovation practice and my partner Kyahn Kamali leads our Data Sciences practice.

We are very interested in improving abilities to recognize, assess, and mitigate broader and more nuanced risk drivers for utilization, especially behavioral and social determinants. In addition to our client work we are researching issues around pain management and substance abuse treatment models.

Outside of work you can find me cycling, on the squash court or recovering from cycling or squash with a hoppy libation.

Good afternoon all,
My name is Colin Orr and I work for ICON (for the last 6 years) a clinical research organization based in Dublin, Ireland. I work in an innovation function within ICON which is focused on using new technologies in innovative ways to support the transformations that are taking place within the clinical research industry. My education and professional background is in technology (data warehousing, business intelligence, data integrations, architecture, data modeling,…). I have worked in many verticals so I am jack of all trades and master of none :wink:
Having said all that, I am working on project that is a little disconnect from our core business. I am leading the design and development of a technology platform for a global benchmarking initiative that ICON is conducting as a partner of the ICHOM consortium (ichom.org). The global benchmarking is based on standardized data sets for patient outcomes as defined by patients. I am right in the middle of a pilot as I type. To support global benchmarking and patient outcome analytics I feel the OMOP data model may well be ideal for this. I am joining this group to get advice on how to use this model in practice and to find other people who may have done similar projects. I assume I am in the right place…

And if you are still reading this, outside of work I do a lot of running. I don’t run because I enjoy it, I run because it takes less time than sailing and it is a lot cheaper.

Hello

I am Keith Elliston, and currently serve as CEO of the tranSMART Foundation. I am a veteran of the pharmaceutical industry (12 years), Biotech Industry (12 years) and the non profit research / open-source sector (5 years). My background is as a systems biologist (PhD in molecular genetics) and entrepreneur (I have been a part of founding over a dozen biotech/technology startups, including the tranSMART Foundation). My main interest is in how we can leverage open-source software and open-data to further the realization of precision medicine.

What can I do to help? I can help to explore ways in which tranSMART and the translational research community can grow to include OMOP and the OHDSI community. I look forward to exploring how we might make this happen.

Hello everyone, I am Brack Coalson & live in Chicago. I was recently introduced to OHDSI via Shawn Dolley. We work together at Cloudera on open-source technologies for Health & Life Sciences research organizations. I’m particularly interested in CDM contributions to OMOP and the Working Group for Hadoop. The past 25~ years I’ve been focused on the life cycle & usage of ‘data’, particularly data integration, data quality, & all forms of data profiling & analytics. Go Cubs…

1 Like

HI Folks, my name is Bob Lanese and my job is as a Data Architect. I split my time between the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Institute of Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. My main roles are many but I am mostly involved with helping and setting up Investigational research studies across various departments. The team I work with is also developing a Cleveland-based multi-consortium data warehouse for cohort discovery and other areas of medical research using large datasets.We will be using the OMOP common data model to a large extent.

My main area of interest is developing data standards across studies and disciplines to help in more efficient methods to aggregate and organize data. Looking forward to getting involved more with OHDSI.

Hello, I am Maxim Moinat and work as a data scientist for The Hyve in Utrecht (The Netherlands). Despite that I have been participating in the OHDS community for a number of months now, I have not introduced myself yet. So, here a short introduction on who I am and what The Hyve does.

I have a background in Bioinformatics and worked on the ETL of two European healthcare datasets. As a company we strive to “advance Biology and Medical science by creating and serving thriving open source communities”. We have experience in multiple open source projects (e.g. Transmart and cBioPortal). OHDSI is certainly one of the most active and ‘thriving’ open source communities we have worked with yet.

Therefore we are very happy to be part of and contribute to this great community.

Hi, my name is André, 31 years old and I am a physician from Brazil. Currently I work with family medicine.
I have a huge interest in Data Science and I am studying to work with bioinformatics. Hope to be useful !

Hello everyone!

My name is Mike and I am from Washington, DC. I spent just over a decade in healthcare before switching over to Cybersecurity. I’m currently looking to get back into healthcare focusing on analytics.

My current interests are in EMS prediction models and increasing the ability for EMS services to utilize analytics through open source means.

Looking forward to the conversation.

t