OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

(THEMIS 2) How do you handle missing visit end dates?

themis

(Mui Van Zandt) #21

All - The concept ID 32220 - Still Patient is not standard. Should we really be using this?

(Christian Reich) #22

What for?

(Melanie Philofsky) #23

Should we bring this to Themis or petition the vocabulary team to make this a standard concept id?

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #24

it’s already there.

@Christian_Reich I don’t see any reasons why this concept can’t be standard.

(Alexandra Orlova) #25

Probably we should populate with that concept discharge_to_concept_id field since 32220-“Still patient” concept is from domain “Visit” and vocabulary “UB04 Pt dis status” and has nothing to do with the provenance of source data?

(Christian Reich) #26

Yeah, this is a little odd. I don’t think a Type Concept is the right way. It would be something “From UB04 claim form” if we need that level of detail. What we really need is a convention for a future unknown date and put that into VISIT_END_DATE. How about 31-Dec-2099 like in the vocabularies? However, this would screw up Visit duration calculations. To be honest with you an empty VISIT_END_DATE makes the most sense here. Should we revoke the THEMIS rule?

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #27

I like that

(Christian Reich) #28

Want to put an issue in, @Dymshyts?

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #29

VISIT_OCCURRENCE.visit_end_date is nullable.
So there’s no CommonDataModel issue.

(Melanie Philofsky) #30

Is nullable in v6, but the VISIT_OCCURRENCE.visit_end_datetime is required in v6. And in v5.3 the visit_end_date is required, but visit_end_datetime is not required.

Having a nullable visit_end_date/time may not be the best idea because many sources don’t have end_date for Outpatient Visits. So, there will be millions/billions of visits with no end_dates if the field isn’t required. And then folks running a study will have all these visits that start and never end. Let’s keep visit_end_date/time as a required field UNLESS discharge_to_concept_id = 32220, “Still patient”. If the Person is not currently a patient, their Visit has ended and an end_date should be populated.

t