OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

[OHDSI COVID-19] Review on the effect of ACE inhibitors and Angiotensin Receptor Blockers on COVID-19 incidence and complication rate

Thanks @Geert_Byttebier1. This is very helpful. We will incorporate this into the literature review / background. Also, I’ve shared your reference in the Microsoft Teams thread so that people who are working on the estimation study protocols can view.

Very good. Thank you. Another relatively recent article (see reference below) also indicated potential impact of statin use. Statins were apparently also administered as acute medication during Ebola outbreaks in Africa las year, also documented in publications.

2020 Feb;48(1):51-56. doi: 10.1007/s15010-019-01335-0. Epub 2019 Jun 15.

Influenza virus infection: an approach to identify predictors for in-hospital and 90-day mortality from patients in Vienna during the season 2017/18.

Pawelka et al.

CONCLUSIONS:

Older age, history of atrial fibrillation and pneumonia are associated with increased risk of influenza-associated in-hospital and 90-day mortality. Statin use may decrease 90-day mortality.

One of the supporting extra references as reported above :

J Public Health Policy. 2018 Aug;39(3):268-282. doi: 10.1057/s41271-018-0138-8.

What treating Ebola means for pandemic influenza.

Fedson DS

, 57, chemin du Lavoir, 01630, Sergy Haut, France. davidsfedson@gmail.com.

Abstract

Almost all new treatments being developed for the next influenza pandemic target the virus. During the Ebola crisis in West Africa, patients were treated with an inexpensive generic statin/angiotensin receptor blocker combination that appeared to greatly improve survival. These drugs target the host response, not the virus, and probably reverse endothelial dysfunction. Scientists and health officials have shown little interest in this idea. Yet, during the early months of the next pandemic, vaccines will be unavailable and treatment options will be limited. Physicians should be prepared to undertake clinical trials of widely available generic drugs to determine whether they improve survival in patients with seasonal influenza, other emerging virus diseases, and other forms of acute critical illness. Public health officials should give these studies their strong support. If successful, they will suggest a ‘bottom up’ approach to patient care that could be implemented worldwide on the first pandemic day.

Angiotensin receptor blockers; Ebola; Emerging virus diseases; Endothelial dysfunction; Host response; Pandemic influenza; Statins

Hi,

This is Charu Gandotra. I recently joined OHDSI, introduced to it by Ana Szarfman. I am a cardiologist and work as a clinical reviewer at FDA. I will like to contribute to ACE-COVID 19 work stream. I am still trying to iron out some technical issues in joining Microsoft team meetings. Please let me know how i can contribute?

Thanks,
Charu.

This paper talks about genetic variability in expression of ACE -2 and risk of corona virus infection. May be helpful to look at regional variations in outcomes of patients using ACEI or ARBs, and also compare ACEI with ARB.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-020-0147-1.pdf

Good morning! I am Qin Ryan, a new member of OHDSI, introduced by Dr. Ana Szarfman. I am a hematologist/oncologist who works at FDA reviewing efficacy and safety on new therapies. I am also a cell and molecular biologist. It is my honor to contribute to ACE-COVID 19 work stream. Presently, I am still try to navigate through OHDSI but would love to contribute. Thanks,

Qin

Hot off the press: NEJM: Renin–Angiotensin–Aldosterone System Inhibitors in Patients with Covid-19. A interesting article!
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsr2005760?query=RP

Hi Patrick, I am interested in this study-a-thon. How could I be involved in this event and make my contribution?

@conovermitch, I’m happy to help out in any way I can on the literature review. Please let me know if there are any tools that you’re using to get started. I can be reached at jkohler@usaid.gov or juliannamkohler@gmail.com (some of the tools didn’t work on my government furnished equipment).

Many thanks,
Julianna

t