OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

New WG - Book of OHDSI

This weeks notes and recordings have been uploaded to the Wiki.

I have updated our Google Doc with the book outline based on the discussions in the past 3 meetings. I’ve now set the Google Doc so anyone with the link can edit. @clairblacketer, @mvanzandt, @gregk, @Rijnbeek: could you insert your current chapter outlines here? You own these chapters so feel free to make any changes you think necessary in the document.

Also feel free to suggest changes to the outline as a whole, or discuss them in this forum.

Just a reminder that we have a Book WG meeting tomorrow. The agenda (from last meeting):

• Revisit the CDM, Network Studies, and Patient-Level Prediction chapter outlines

• Revisit overall book outline

Please insert your chapter outline to the Google Doc.

A friendly reminder that we have a Book of OHDSI workgroup meeting today. Last time we agreed that the respective chapter leads for our three pilot chapters would start to draft these chapters:

• Patient-level prediction
  • Common Data Model
  • Network studies

So the agenda for today should be reviewing these drafts. @Rijnbeek has excused himself (something about running an EHDEN kickoff meeting :wink: ), but have the other chapter leads made any progress?

@schuemie, unfortunately I don’t have much to share with the group this week. I still need to go through and plan how our sample person’s data will look throughout the chapter.

Great Initiative … !!

Because of various (worthy) distractions we are postponing today’s call for a week. We will meet Tuesday the 29th, 11am Eastern.

@Rijnbeek has submitted a first draft of the PLP chapter to The Book of OHDSI! You can view it here.

I would like to discuss this chapter at tomorrow’s meeting.

As an aside: One thing I like about this bookdown approach is that the book is instantly available on multiple devices. Here’s a photo of the book on my laptop, iPad, iPhone, and e-reader :wink:

Not shown is that you can also download the book as PDF, and could print it if you want.

5 Likes

One question raised during this week’s meeting is whether we need to add a license to the book.

For example, R for Data Science is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 US.

Does anyone have any knowledge about these licenses? Ideas?

what’s wrong with APL? Attribute, but then do whatever we want.

I don’t know, which is why I’m asking. Isn’t APL a license for software? How would it apply to a book? We use the Apache license for all our software, would it make sense to do the same here?

Just a reminder that tomorrow (Feb 12) we have another Book of OHDSI meeting at 11am Eastern Time.

Proposed topics:

1. Review of the CDM chapter draft created by @clairblacketer. (More content might be added between now and the meeting)

2. Licensing (CC, APL, Apache?)

3. Eunomia

@schuemie I don’t know what Eunomia in OHDSI is (though I’m curious! :thinking:). But based on the name alone, I wonder if this document on legal guidelines for facilitating data interoperability and sharing in the service of open science might be relevant: http://www.codata.org/uploads/Legal%20Interoperability%20Principles%20and%20Implementation%20Guidelines_Final2.pdf

Hi @Andrew! I thought it would be funny to be mysterious, but maybe being clear is more helpful :wink: Eunomia refers to the idea of a standard CDM dataset we can use for exercises and examples.

I’ve made some progress on this idea that I’m excited about and would like to share.

Just a reminder that today (Feb 26) we have another Book of OHDSI meeting at 11am Eastern Time.

Proposed topics:

1. Review of the Network Studies chapter by @gregk (Greg: can you upload something for us to review?)
  2. Licensing (CC, APL, Apache?)
  3. Exercises
  4. Revisiting the chapter outline, for example: should we add a chapter on using SQL to query the CDM & Vocab?

I know it is probably a bad idea to break open a standing meeting time, but several folks like @rchen and @Christian_Reich have told me they cannot make the Book of OHDSI meeting because of recurring conflicts in their agenda.

Just throwing two alternatives out there:

• An hour earlier? (Tuesdays 10am-11am Eastern Time)
  • Same time on Thursday? (11am-12am Eastern Time)

Let me know if you have objections or preferences

Any chance for Thursday at 10am EST? Unfortunately, similar to other folks, I also have an ongoing meeting clash on both Tuesday and Thursday at 11am EST. If not, I will pick Tue at 10am EST

Ok, we can add Thursdays 10am EST to list of options.

I appreciate the consideration @schuemie! Unfortunately my standing conflict goes includes 10-12 both days, but I hope to be able to join you all starting in the summer!

Since many Korean researchers want me to write a Korean OHDSI book, I’ve started to write the Book of OHDSI, Korean version under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public License. You can see the working version of the book, here.

Most contents would be translated from the OHDSI book. Thank you the contribution of Book of OHDSI WG!

Excellent!

With the upcoming face-to-face meeting I hope we can shift the writing of the Book into a higher gear, so there should be more material in the English version soon that you can use.

Question: what is the reasoning behind picking that license? (we still need to pick one for the English book)

t