OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Get ingredients of Rxnorm deprecated concepts

Is there any way to obtain ingredients for deprecated concepts?

The concept ancestors table contains mapping from standard rxnorm codes to ingredients, however I have a dataset that contains many deprecated rxnorm codes (which cannot be mapped to standard).

I noticed that many of these deprecated drugs are still valid in the real world, e.g.:

• CONCEPT_ID CONCEPT_NAME
  • 1100166.0 acetaminophen 320 MG / codeine 8 MG Oral Capsule
  • 1120613.0 Dextromethorphan 60 MG
  • 722114.0 Paroxetine 30 MG
    etc. etc.

However, I am unable to get their ingredients.

Is there any way I could do this? Something I am trying is to look for other relationships like ‘Rxnorm has ing’, ‘consist of’, or ‘Maps to’ (I can see some of them still have a valid mapping to standard), but this seems like an inconsistent solution as not all of them have these relationships present. Some of them have all 3, some of them have none.

Thank you beforehand for any help.

Hello, @napanmo

Yes, there is a way to find ingredients for any concepts, including deprecated. Use concept_relationship table. For Clinical Drug Components you would find a direct link to the ingredient (Rxnorm has ing).

For other concept classes you would have to use other links, either going from Non-standard drugs to Standard first (Maps to; Concept replaced by) or checking each part of the drug for the multicomponent drugs (Consists of). Shouldn’t be many links to check.

Why do you need that, @napanmo? Deprecated drugs are no good. It’s not that they are off the market.

Hi Christian. I have historical patient data which I need to process for analysis. A few thousands of these codes are deprecated, and they were not mapped to standard, that is why I was asking.

I lately found that some of them have direct mapping to ingredient, and some of them can be converted to standard (and hence, to ingredient, with the ancestors table), so I’m trying this solution to see how many ingredients I can extract.

Thanks! I’m following this for my solution.

t