OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Welcome to OHDSI! - Please introduce yourself

Hi all, I’m Richard Baumann. I’m a senior manager of data architecture and databases in the Center for Observational Research at Amgen. I’m relatively new to OHDSI concepts but have a lot of enthusiasm for becoming very familiar with it. My goal is some day to be able to reply to questions from new members in these forums. My hobbies outside of work include programming electronic music in SONAR (<a href = https://www.cakewalk.com/products/SONAR), developing my presentation skills in Toastmasters, and taking care of three rambunctious cats, one of whom rides around with me on my shoulder everywhere I go.

Hi Erica, nice to meet you. About a month ago I found a web site where Janssen had posted some real live ETL programs, such as one for Flatiron oncology data. It had your user ID associated with it. Now, for the life of me, I cannot find it any more. Do you know what I’m referring to? If so, could you tell me the URL for it? Much appreciated. Best regards, Richard

Hi Erica, I’m Mathew Abraham of Univ. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center - Dallas. Just joined the group. My interests are in applied data science for clinical, operations and population health predictive analytics. Seasoned systems architect and C# programmer, now getting into R, Python, Spark, CDM etc.

Looking forward to interacting with the group!

Regards,
Abraham

@Richard,

Here is where our stuff is currently:

The MAN folder has all the documentation (both v4 and v5). The code is still for v4, but we are hoping to have v5 up in a month or so. Also keep in mind our stuff is highly customized for our environment (although with each release we try to make it more usable by diverse environments) - the code should probably be used for example purposes.

If you are starting a CDM, please refer to this:
http://www.ohdsi.org/web/wiki/doku.php?id=documentation:etl_best_practices

Hi all,

I’m Mohammad Fayaz. I’m currently attended in an international Ph.D. (Without commitment by government) program in biostatistics in Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.

First of all, I want to thank @MauraBeaton for very useful telephone conversation and links. She introduced me to @t_abdul_basser who helps me alot by providing good descriptions and useful materials about OHDSI R packages.

I hope I can stay in touch with this project.

Thanks,
Mohammad

1 Like

I am glad that you found our response was helpful. Please let us know if we can be of assistance with anything else.

Hi all. I recently realized that–although I have been working on OHDSI for a couple of months and have introduced myself on a several telephone calls–I have not introduced myself here (sorry @MauraBeaton :smile:). I am a research analyst and software developer at Department of Biomedical Informatics @ Columbia University, working on OHDSI with @hripcsa, @karthik, @aperotte, @MauraBeaton, @mark_velez and others. My background is in healthcare web application and web service development. Over the last two months, I have been getting up to speed with the OHDSI components and architecture (thanks @Frank, @Chris_Knoll and @mark_velez ) and, increasingly, contributing to Atlas development here at Columbia. I am excited about the prospect of, and look forward to, contributing to the growth of the components and applications in the future.

Hello everyone!

I’m Samantha St. Laurent and I am a data analyst in the Real World Data & Analytics group at GSK. I use observational data to gain insights into disease understanding and treatment patterns, to help project teams in various stages of drug development. I am especially interested in data visualizations and have explored using Spotfire dashboards linked to a Teradata server to dynamically interrogate large amounts of data, but I am always interested in learning about new applications, tools and methods.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Marzieh Nabi. I am a systems and data scientist and technical lead at Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), a Xerox Company. I would also like to stay connected to the world of entrepreneurship and startups. I am holding an AIR (Analyst in Residence) position in HealthTech Capital, an investing firm in Silicon Valley focusing on healthcare related startups. I am also an Associate at Sand Hill Angels helping with business analysis, technical analysis, and due diligence.

I am coming to healthcare analytics from systems theory, aerospace engineering, autonomous systems, and robotics. My main focus is on predictive and prescriptive analytics for patients with comorbidities. I became interested in this class of problems for personal reasons. I am excited to explore the applicability and impact of artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms in healthcare. Here is a recent article I published in VentureBeat. I would appreciate comments and feedback from the community.

I lack the medical knowledge, and I need a lot of help there. I am here to learn, and help to grow this great community to achieve its goal.

Hi all! My name is David Kent. I am Director of the Tufts Predictive Analytics and Comparative Effectiveness (PACE) Center, at the Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Tufts Medical Center, and Director of the Clinical and Translational Science (CTS) MS/PhD Program, at the Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, Tufts University and Professor of Medicine, Neurology, and CTS at Tufts Medical Center/Tufts University School of Medicine. I am a clinician-methodologist with a broad background in clinical epidemiology with a focus on predictive modeling, individual patient data meta-analysis, and observational comparative effectiveness research applied to cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease. In addition to applied work in CVD, my funded work also addresses fundamental analytic issues. I was PI on a PCORI methods grant empirically evaluating a framework to examine HTE in randomized clinical trials, am co-PI on a second PCORI methods grant which makes use of both observational data and data from randomized trials in order to investigate HTE, as well as PI of a U Award which examines the value of risk-modeling. I have also led the NIH-sponsored RoPE and TAcTiCS projects on patent foramen ovale (PFO) and cryptogenic stroke.

@Marzieh, I enjoyed your VentureBeat article. Your “eureka” moment very well summarizes several objectives of the OHDSI collaboration. You’ve come to the right place. Welcome!

Jon

Going through this process led me to a “eureka moment”: If we can automatically integrate our accumulated experiences around the globe together with the long history of medicine, we could:

• Identify interesting and yet non-intuitive insights that would help health providers to effectively choose appropriate treatment plans
  • Generate hypotheses for medical researchers that would expedite knowledge discovery
  • Develop actionable information for patients and family members to efficiently manage the comorbidities.

Thank you Jon. Looking forward to getting more involved.

Hello Fellow OHDSIans,

My name is Vimala Jacob and I work as a database architect for a research centre in Australia. I am about to embark on a project which takes patient data from an EHR system and transforms it into an OMOP database model. At this stage, I shall be learning more from the community, rather than contributing. However I do hope that I can give back once I become more proficient in the OMOP space.

Hello!

My name is Melanie Philofsky. I am a former ICU RN working on my healthcare informatics MS degree at University of Colorado, Denver. For my practicum, I am working on terminology solutions and best practices at Health Data Compass, University of Colorado with @mgkahn

I have a few questions regarding the OMOP CDM and OHDSI’s tools that I will be posting to the forums. I’ve also been researching terminology mapping maintenance programs and coming up empty. Especially in regards to the evolution of terminologies/vocabularies on their dependent concepts, relationships, hierarchies, etc. I appreciate any knowledge or leads the community wants to share!

Cheers,
Melanie

Hi Everyone,

My name is Suwaibith Suhail and I work as software engineer for a development and research company in Sri lanka. My team and I and have helped develop ICU dashboards for one of the largest mid west hospital in USA. We are all HIPAA certified and currently we are looking to introducing machine learning to help improve medical care for patients and physicians with their work. I am currently on the lookout for datasets to help train our platform we are developing.

Regards,
SS

Hello everyone!

I’m Adler Perotte. I am not new to the OHDSI community, but thought that I shouldn’t stay in the shadows forever! I am a physician that spends all of my time doing research with observational health data. I am a very active member of the Columbia team and am excited to be a part of the larger community.

My work mostly centers around leveraging existing and novel probabilistic methods for clinical informatics. Some problems that interest me include making research with observational data more authoritative, early prediction of preventable conditions, and untangling the effects of the health care process on observational health data. I’m also interested in wearable devices, but that’s a story for another day.

I’m interested in all aspects of work being done in the OHDSI community, but I’m particularly excited about figuring out ways to generate high quality clinical insights by combining minds and data with the rest of the OHDSI collaborators.

Thanks!
-Adler

Welcome to the family, Melanie.

We have a Working Group for the CDM and Vocabularies. That’s where you probably want to come and find friends. Click on Current Activities to see what’s cooking right now.

Greetings everyone,

My name is Christian Matson. I work for Optum Life Science and am helping lead an initiative to convert some of our data assets into the OMOP V5 CDM format. We feel the degree to which the research community has embraced the OMOP format represents an excellent opportunity for our group to further support our clients by expanding the application of our data. I am looking forward to engaging with the OHDSI community and learning more about the CDM and the exciting collaborative work this organization is doing with observational data.

My own background is in blood-brain-barrier research, mathematics and QSAR. I grew up in the Boston area but am now living in Minneapolis, where I enjoy many outdoor activities, including fishing, hunting and cross-country skiing.

Hi Everyone -

I found out about OHDSI from the amazing PNAS paper just published, I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to learn about this resource! I’m an internal medicine physician and health policy researcher and I’ll be starting as an assistant professor at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health on July 1 in the Department of Health Policy and Management. My interests are in health care delivery systems, quality of care, overuse of low-value care and understanding the interface between primary and specialty care. If anyone with experience in the health services research/health policy research space has time to reach out and give me an introduction to this community and how studies work, I would love to learn more. OHDSI could be an incredibly powerful resource for better understanding health care delivery and medical decision making.

Michael
Twitter: @ml_barnett

Hello,

I’m a new data scientist at the Desert Research Institute (DRI) in Reno, NV. Prior to DRI I spent 23 years at SAS manufacturing commercial grade analytics software. In my last role there I guided a team of 65 PhDs with advanced analytics degrees whose job was to independently verify the numerical correctness of SAS procedural output. Products my team was responsible for included: SAS/STAT, SAS/ETS, SAS/OR, SAS/IML, SAS/QC, Enterprise Miner, Factory Miner, Text Analytics, Sentiment Analysis and SAS High Performance Analytics.

I’m currently involved in large scale a population health study for the State of Nevada under the sponsorship of Renown Healthcare in Reno and the Nevada Governor’s Office for Economic Development.

I’m excited to learn more about this project!

Jim

1 Like
t