OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Welcome to OHDSI! - Please introduce yourself

We are working on a Brazilian dataset. If you still want to call it Portuguese what they are talking over there feel free to reach out, and the team could help with mapping of things.

Hi everyone,

My name is Jose Posada, and I recently joined Stanford as a Sr. Clinical Data Scientist within the Department of Medicine where I will be involved in the wonderful work that @nigam and @somalee are doing with OHDSI. Before this position, I was at University of Pittsburgh working in extracting social determinants of health from psychiatric reports using deep learning.

My native language is Spanish, so I will be delighted to contribute with efforts in the beautiful Español.

Outside of work, I play the trumpet anytime my 2-year-old boy allows me to :smile:

Greetings from Germany,:
My name is Susanne Seuchter and I just joined the data integration team at the University Hospital Erlangen which is a partner in the MIRACUM project (one of the four funded projects in the German Medical Informatics Initiative). We are using OMOP as the data model of one of our research data repositories and I shall work on data quality analyses. For this purpose I‘m now starting to look into OHDSI-tools and trying to learn how I can use those.

My name is Steve Patterson and I have been at UVA Health System for the past 6 months, mainly working on REDCap but recently on helping get the OMOP Model stood up. We are sourcing from EPIC’s Clarity DB.

Incidentally, I am currently at the OHDSI 18 Symposium in Rockville, MD. If you are present at OHDSI '18 (at the OMOP CDM Session) and either attempting or have completed sourcing data from EPIC Clarity to OMOP I’d love to talk with you for a few minutes following the OMOP Session today (10/11) at 5pm. I’d love to collaborate with you and see how we can help each other. Meet at the back of the room at 5 immediately following today’s session. I’m wearing a white button up shirt and jeans.

Hello! I am Subha Madhavan from Georgetown University Medical Center working at the Innovation Center for Biomedical Informatics. Our team has followed OHDSI for a couple of years. We are now working with EHR and claims data on various projects and would like to be part of the OHDSI community to learn best practices, models and methods others are using for similar usecases and share our lessons learned with those interested. Looking forward to the journey! I am at the OHDSI symposium today in Bethesda in case anyone wants to say hello:)

Outside of work, I like to exercise/yoga, cook and travel.

I am running my studies at UTHealth in Houston now. One of the studies is encoding Chinese EMR with ICD-10 then match to SNOMED CT. Let me know if you are interested in this topic.

Hi!

My name is Sebastian Mate. I’m a computer scientist also working for the University Hospital in Erlangen and a colleague of Susanne (see three posts above). We hope to be able to use parts of OMOP and the associated tools to build a “standardized” research network over here in Germany, as part of the MIRACUM project.

I’ve used i2b2 a lot in recent years as I was researching in the areas of secondary use of data, phenotyping, data harmonization and semantics (mapping, Semantic Web, temporal logic, …), but OMOP is new to me and I’m really excited to get started! I truely appreciate your efforts within OHDSI!

Best wishes from Erlangen
Sebastian

Hello! I’m switching positions in the clinic in which I work. OHDSI is what I’ll mainly be working on.
The practice where I am only had one person in IT handling this part and they quit, so I’m basically teaching myself as I go along.
Anyone else having trouble logging on (via remote desktop) using the available list of IP addresses?

Hi,
My name is Abiodun Akogun. I am a Data Scientist for the Enterprise Data Management & Analytics team at CHRISTUS Health in Irving TX. While I am new to the health care space, I have been a technologist for over 15 years. I have advanced degrees in Electrical Engineering and Analytics/Data Science.

I would like to help the community with research papers and possibly Machine Learning Models and how we can use such models to improve patient care.

I run a machine learning meetup(Katy Data Analytics & Machine Learning) here in Texas. I look forward to applying such skills specifically in the health care space.

Thank You.

Hello!

I am a PhD Student of Computer Science and Mathematics at the ICMC/USP DataBases and Images Group in São Carlos, Brazil. Currently I’m colocated at the University of São Paulo Faculty of Medicine Clinics Hospital Heart Institute (InCor), providing technical support for InCor’s CDM adoption.
I have been studying all the OHDSI work, looking forward to contribute with bugfixes and future updates. It has been a great pleasure.

Nice to meet you!

Hi
I am Gunn Signe Jakobsen, MD, PhD. My research work is in treatment of severe obesity using health registry information, and my day job is with the Norwegian Directorate of E-health where I am working with SNOMED CT. I listened this morning to a very inspiring speech by Christian Reich at SNOMED Expo. I really support the ideas and values of this society that he communicated, and hope that I can contribute in some way.

Hi

I am David Markwell, like Gunn Signe, I listened to Christian Reich’s inspiring presentation at the SNOMED Expo in Vancouver today. As a member of the Education and Product Support team at SNOMED International, I was delighted to learn about the role of SNOMED CT in the great work being done by the OHDSI group. I will probably be mostly a watcher seeking to learn what is going on rather than a direct contributor. However, if there are specific questions related to SNOMED CT, I may be able to help to answer them.

Hi all!!
I’m Gilberto Botaro, from Brazil and I live in the city of São Paulo, I have a degree in computer science and a degree in biological sciences. I have a startup (I’m CTO) focused on the social and health data market and I am researching the use of blockchain (smart contract) for the security of personal data and the interoperability between systems and platforms through consent (owner definite authorization) between users. My interest in this forum is to participate in discussions about the open source development of OHDSI applications and other tools that take advantage of MDL OMOP, as well as find interested in my project to plan a global solution (my current focus and investment capacity restricts me to a focus on the Brazilian market, which even has strong regulation in the health sector, especially in the financial aspect of public health and private health). Thankś for all sponsors, participants and members of this community.

Paul Thorpe
IT Children’s of Alabama
We are beginning a Data Warehouse.
We have built out I2B2.
We have plans to adopt the OHDSI model .
I have been receiving emails for a few months, but plan on actively attending the weekly meetings.

Hi,

Thank you for providing this platform to collaborate, serve and support healthcare quality data analytics.

I have a technical background working with healthcare payor, provider, claims, population health data. Consulting experience includes implementing M.D. Anderson’s Cancer Center protocol life cycle and clinical trials management system.

I welcome the opportunity to serve in any capacity that adds value to OHSDI standards and initiatives.

Best Regards,

Kelly

Hello everyone!

My name is Ignacio Perez from Chile. I’m a physician and medical informatician in training, with a passion for Data Science and AI.

After hearing about OHDSI, I watched a series of 5 youtube tutorials from 2017, becoming tremendously motivated by the work being done. Having worked with clinical data, I quickly understood the value of the OMOP CDM, Vocabulary and tools. I’ve been receiving the emails for a couple of weeks now, but finally decided to introduce myself. I look forward to continue learning and eventually identify places I can contribute (I’ve noticed most of the work is done in R. I wonder if there are initiatives of porting code or developing new tools in Python, where I might be of help :stuck_out_tongue:).

Kind Regards,

Ignacio

2 Likes

Hi Ignacio, I am also a newbye.
The idea of python code is very interesting!

1 Like

Hi Mehrdad,

I am a database expert and I am doing work in autoimmune disease that’s closely related to what you may be doing with SEER. Perhaps we could collaborate. My website is www.autoimmuneregistry.org and you can email me at aaron@autoimmuneregistry.org.

Best regards,

Aaron Abend

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Travis Gerke, a cancer epidemiologist and biostatistician at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. In addition to my faculty role with research interests in integrative molecular epidemiology and prognostic modeling, I also serve as Scientific Director of Moffitt’s Collaborate Data Services Core, an institutional shared resource that acts as a gateway to the cancer center’s data assets via provisioning and study design consultation.

I and my research group conduct R development as part of several research projects, and are huge proponents of open data practices. I’m beyond excited to have stumbled on OHDSI and am excited to learn more.

Travis

1 Like

HI all,

I am Kevin Land, a Transfusion Medicine and Cellular Therapy Physician at Vitalant a national blood center. I am involved with many different data collecting projects on the donor and recipient sides of blood and cellular therapy through my roles as chair of the International Society of Blood Transfusion’s Working Party on Haemovigilance and board member of the International Haemovigilance Network. Recently, various organizations within the blood/cell therapy world are considering the need for standardized vocabulary and are beginning to develop multiorganizational groups to address this need. FDA advisors have pointed us to the OMOP CDM as a potential final place to house our donor and recipient vocabularies. Like many others, I am very interested in learning more about OHDSI. Best - Kevin

t