OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Vaccines standard - CVX or RxNorm?

(Violetta Komar) #22

Now vaccine from this example will been mapped to RxNorm Ingredient, if you still need comprehensive graphical image i will be making it

(Christian Reich) #23

@Violetta_Komar: Be so kind.

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #24

According the initial question - what are the best candidates to map CPT to.
Here is the table attached with manual evaluation whether meaning of RxNorm or CVX concept is closer to initial CPT4 meaning. See the flags in “RxNorm is better” and “cvx is better”. “0” means no difference.
In the cases where CVX and RxNorm are equivelent we map to RxNorm as it has better hierarchical tree.

cpt_rxn_cvx_compare.xlsx (11.7 KB)

(Lisa Schilling) #25

Hello @Dymshyts
Thank you for all this work!!
Wouldn’t IG IM map to RxNorm code- 108067- Intramuscular immunoglobulin

and IG IV map to - 353532 Immunoglobins, Intravenous

This way we can distinguish the IV from the IM, and there are other more specific codes with concentration but I don’t know if we need those or not.

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #26

You’re welcome, @schillil :slight_smile:
Both “108067- Intramuscular immunoglobulin” and “353532 Immunoglobins, Intravenous” are non-standard concepts. We can use only standard concepts in CDM, thus we map only to standard ones.
Note,
108067 Intramuscular immunoglobulin Is Precise Ingredient, Form of 5666 Immunoglobulin G
and 353532 is just outdated, RxNorm never uses Route in Ingredients.

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #27

Mappings from here
https://www2a.cdc.gov/vaccines/iis/iisstandards/vaccines.asp?rpt=cpt
exist in OMOP vocabulary now except those that can be mapped to RxNorm better.
And we are working on CVX harmonization itself.

(Lisa Schilling) #28

Ah, @Dymshyts you’re right-- I thought all the RxNorms were standard for drugs so I didn’t even check the specific attributes of the codes. Thanks again.

(Alexander Davydov) #29

Can you use RxNorm Extension here?
36783518 Immunoglobulin G Intravenous Solution
44029797 Immunoglobulin G Intramuscular Solution

(Alexander Davydov) #30

Ah, you’re right, CVX is much better here.

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #31

Technically there should’t be even such a two different Dose Forms like “Intravenous Solution” and “Intramuscular Solution”. both should be “Injectable solution” - exactly as RxNorm does.

t