OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Substitute for non-existent concept in OMOP Vocabularies

Hello,

I have come across a few geographic locations in our source data, for which there is no corresponding entry in the OMOP vocabularies. Eg; Cook islands and Belarus. What should we substitute such values with?

Regards,
Vimala

There are Cook Islands and Belarus in Australia? I must have been distracted during Geography class. :smile:
Just submit.

Hello Christian,

These geographic locations represent the country of birth for patients in the source data.

Could I please have new concepts added for the following countries/territories?

• Kosovo
  • Macau (SAR of China)
  • Niue
  • Palestine
  • Samoa
  • Tokelau
  • Russian federation
  • Include synonym for Belorussia as Belarus
  • Australian Antartic Territory
  • Adelie Land (France)
  • Chilean Antarctic Territory
  • Cook Islands
  • Gaza Strip and West Bank
  • Synonym for Burma as Myanmar

Regards,
Vimala

@Vimala_Jacob:

That is one grand list of countries. They are either places like Niue: Given that they only have 1200 inhabitants I can’t imagine you have a lot of records. :smile: Or they are only partially recongized as countries by the international community (Kosovo, Palestine). We use the SNOMED codes for countries, but do you really want to go into the political disputes with OMOP? Where is the use case?

• Kosovo - Partially recognized.
  • Macau (SAR of China) - part of China. Does the fact that it was under Portuguese rule create a use case for observational research?
  • Niue - Super tiny and mostly part of New Zealand.
  • Palestine - Part of Israel.
  • Samoa - doesn’t exist. There is West Somoa (4330422) and American Somoa (4073023).
  • Tokelau - New Zealand.
  • Russian federation - That’s weird. SNOMED only has European and Siberian part of Russia. Use European for th time being, since >70% of inhabitants live there.
  • Include synonym for Belorussia as Belarus - ok, but why do you need the synonym? To find it better?
  • Australian Antartic Territory: Can we just make that Australia? How many people are “from there”?
  • Adelie Land (France) - Same. I thought there are only penguins.
  • Chilean Antarctic Territory - Same.
  • Cook Islands - Same as Niue and Tokelau.
  • Gaza Strip and West Bank - That’s the same as Palestine above.
  • Synonym for Burma as Myanmar - Same as Belarus - why?

Let me know. If you ask me, we can add the islands in Polynesia, but we really should look at the use case of doing that.

t