OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Study launch: A rapid network study on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) to inform its use in the management of COVID-19

Dear OHDSI community,

We would like to invite participation in a study on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), the results of which will hopefully be of use in the response to the current COVID-19 pandemic.

A protocol for the study is here. If you would like to be involved in the study please add your name to the table on the first page and add any comments you might have to protocol.

A study repo has been started here. For data partners who would like to participate, please can you run the cohorts detailed here and let me know what your numbers look like by email (edward.burn@ndorms.ox.ac.uk).

I would also like to set up a TC later in the week to discuss progress and have set up a doodle poll here with some potential times, please do add your availability.

4 Likes

Dear @edburn

Please refer this vocabulary set when you build the cohort for the ECMO ,which was done by @Alexdavv

Friends:

Hold the horses. We will release a cleaned vocabulary on Wednesday. Don’t use what’s on the Github. The team is scrubbing it right now.

@edburn: Will ping you with respect to the ECMO soon.

Awesome, thanks will keep a look out for it. For what it’s worth our working concept set for ECMO is here.

1 Like

It seems that ICD10PCS concepts are missing. It is standard, too. Here’s common parent for all ECMO in ICD10PCS.

Ed, the IQVIA team would be happy to run this on our data. Let me know how we can help!

1 Like

Thanks Eduard, we will add these ICD10PCS codes.

Hi Kristin, it would be great if you could check numbers for these cohorts in your Atlas for feasibility.

Thanks!

1 Like

Do you think it will be possible to distinguish between VV and VA ECMO? (since they generally have different indications and in the context of COVID, there is some question of whether we should be using VA preferentially)
Also, do we want to recruit some cardiologists for this study? I can reach out to some folks here at Columbia if more domain expertise might be helpful

Hi Ray, VA vs. VV ECMO can be distinguished based on procedure codes in some databases. We have contacted a domain expert at Columbia. Thanks!

hi @edburn this is a promising initiative. I’ve filled in the Doodle and will look forward to hearing more. Let me know how I can help in the meantime

Hi all, we will be holding a call tomorrow at 2pm GMT to discuss progress with this study and the meeting details are below.

Thursday, Mar 19, 2020 2:00 pm | 1 hour | (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

Meeting number: 950 126 835

Password: KPbgSuEP282

https://pdendorms.webex.com/pdendorms/j.php?MTID=m43a13c6ca4a067cc71dcc689ac5b8a09

Join by video system

Dial 950126835@pdendorms.webex.com

You can also dial 62.109.219.4 and enter your meeting number.

Join by phone

+44-20-3478-5289 United Kingdom Toll

Access code: 950 126 835

Hi, @edburn

Please, consider our concept set for ECMO patients, previously mentioned by @SCYou

It is slightly different from yours: ICD10PCS concepts 1531632, 1531631, 1531630 (all have a common ancestor 2899637) were added
1531632 Extracorporeal Oxygenation, Membrane, Central
1531631 Extracorporeal Oxygenation, Membrane, Peripheral Veno-arterial
1531630 Extracorporeal Oxygenation, Membrane, Peripheral Veno-venous

Concepts in the category Not included / to be excluded from concept set have an indirect link to a patient having ECMO/ECLS

Hi @edburn, I unfortunately can’t make the call (or not all of it at least). Any chance it will be recorded?

t