OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

RxNav start date doesn't match the drug concept id start date

@Dymshyts,

The start date for concept_id = 792422, a branded nasal influenza vaccine is 02/04/2018 per Athena.

However, RxNav lists the start date as 11-2017.

I have noticed the date mismatch for other Influenza nasal vaccines. Can we fix it? We have Persons receiving these drugs as soon as they come on the market.

This seems to be not a problem.
We put valid_start_date as a date the concept first appears in the vocabulary.
Means, the vaccine came on the market in 11-2017, but RxNorm added this concept only in 02-2018.
I suppose you shouldn’t pay attention to the RxNorm concepts dates, but to source concepts valid_start_dates:
both NDC concepts have valid_start_date = 11/01/2017.
http://athena.ohdsi.org/search-terms/terms/36498113
http://athena.ohdsi.org/search-terms/terms/36497059

But it is a problem because I have source data in string text form = “intranasal influenza vaccine” and the FDA BEST is looking at specific drug_concept_ids, so 99.999% of the nasal influenza immunizations persons receive at our facilities are not picked up by their query. I have mapped our source string to 40213327, influenza nasal, unspecified formulation. However, my theory is that I would be able to map this data to a more granular concept_id IF the concept_ids had the valid start date & valid end date equal to the time that the drug was on the market because I have the drug_exposure date in my data. AND I do know that my theory may not work if these brand name intranasal influenza vaccines are on the market for more than one flu season. Yes, I can go out to RxNav to view this information, but I believe it should be an attribute of the “branded” drug concepts.

@Dymshyts:

I am with Melanie. Usually, it doesn’t matter if the drug came to the market a month or two earlier than we capture it. But for seasonal vaccines every week counts. Can we change the way we define valid_start_date?

I see. You don’t want to look at NDC dates. That’s the point of the standardization. You don’t need to look on non-standard concepts.
We’ll see what we can do

I can’t see the actual date here. Can you please point me out.

It’s under the “ST” tab. Or that’s how it displays on my tiny phone screen. If I remember correctly, it’s the Standard Term tab when viewing on a computer.

t