OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

RxNav start date doesn't match the drug concept id start date

(Melanie Philofsky) #1

@Dymshyts,

The start date for concept_id = 792422, a branded nasal influenza vaccine is 02/04/2018 per Athena.

However, RxNav lists the start date as 11-2017.

I have noticed the date mismatch for other Influenza nasal vaccines. Can we fix it? We have Persons receiving these drugs as soon as they come on the market.

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #2

This seems to be not a problem.
We put valid_start_date as a date the concept first appears in the vocabulary.
Means, the vaccine came on the market in 11-2017, but RxNorm added this concept only in 02-2018.
I suppose you shouldn’t pay attention to the RxNorm concepts dates, but to source concepts valid_start_dates:
both NDC concepts have valid_start_date = 11/01/2017.
http://athena.ohdsi.org/search-terms/terms/36498113
http://athena.ohdsi.org/search-terms/terms/36497059

(Melanie Philofsky) #3

But it is a problem because I have source data in string text form = “intranasal influenza vaccine” and the FDA BEST is looking at specific drug_concept_ids, so 99.999% of the nasal influenza immunizations persons receive at our facilities are not picked up by their query. I have mapped our source string to 40213327, influenza nasal, unspecified formulation. However, my theory is that I would be able to map this data to a more granular concept_id IF the concept_ids had the valid start date & valid end date equal to the time that the drug was on the market because I have the drug_exposure date in my data. AND I do know that my theory may not work if these brand name intranasal influenza vaccines are on the market for more than one flu season. Yes, I can go out to RxNav to view this information, but I believe it should be an attribute of the “branded” drug concepts.

(Christian Reich) #4

@Dymshyts:

I am with Melanie. Usually, it doesn’t matter if the drug came to the market a month or two earlier than we capture it. But for seasonal vaccines every week counts. Can we change the way we define valid_start_date?

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #5

I see. You don’t want to look at NDC dates. That’s the point of the standardization. You don’t need to look on non-standard concepts.
We’ll see what we can do

(Dmytry Dymshyts) #6

I can’t see the actual date here. Can you please point me out.

(Melanie Philofsky) #7

It’s under the “ST” tab. Or that’s how it displays on my tiny phone screen. If I remember correctly, it’s the Standard Term tab when viewing on a computer.

t