OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Repository of commonly used function parameters

Hi all,

Since we standardize…well, everything, I was wondering if it may be useful to those who develop R packages to have a set of standard function parameter descriptions. For example, we all tend to pass in a connectionDetails object or a cdmDatabaseSchema or resultsDatabaseSchema to functions. When writing metadata in ROxygen, I just go and copy it from one of the existing OHDSI R packages.

For connectionDetails: “An R object of type \code{connectionDetails} created using the function \code{createConnectionDetails} in the \code{DatabaseConnector} package.”

Instead, perhaps frequently used function parameters can be displayed here: http://www.ohdsi.org/web/wiki/doku.php?id=development:ohdsi_documentation_guidelines. The benefit would be that the easier it is to write R function documentation, the more likely we all will do it.

Anyone agree?

Thanks,
Ajit

1 Like

Yes, I agree with @Ajit_Londhe’s proposal, we need a list for common parameters of OHDSI tool ecosystem.

Great! @schuemie, since you have written a lot of these, do you agree? If so, I’ll set up a Google spreadsheet for this and then we can link to it from the OHDSI wiki.

Yes, sounds good. I wish there was a way to automatically have changes made in such a central repository apply to the various function documentation, but I don’t see an obvious way to do that. But at least as a reference it would be helpful.

t