OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

OHDSI Study: Comparative effectiveness of alendronate and raloxifene in reducing the risk of hip fracture

Hi @msuchard,

I am Dr Kang, an orthopaedic surgeon working in Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea. My research colleague (professor Yu Rang Park) and I want to join the project with the data from our center.
Before participation, I want to ask this question. Although we, in Asan Medical Center, are currently converting the recent-5-years clinical data into the format of OMOP CDM version 5, it’s not finished yet. Can we join the project with only the data required by the present project?

Hi @msuchard,

We’re trying to start Korean version of ‘Save Our Sisyphus’ challenge with collaborating Korean hospitals.
I wonder how you resolved problem with IRB on the study about alendronate and raloxifen. Did you get individual IRB approval from all collaborating sites?

Hi @SCYou!

In all OHDSI studies each site has to get individual IRB approval, and so this was also the case with the alendronate and raloxifen study.

We found it helps greatly when a full protocol is made available that can be used by each site as the basis for requesting IRB approval. (I imagine in Korea it would help to have a Korean version :wink: )

Thank you for the reply @schuemie

Since one of the major obstacles of multi-site multi-national collaborative study in OHDSI is individual IRB issue, we’re reviewing Korean law on biomedical research and IRB now. Various views about IRBs exist depending on the interpretation of the law.
Currently, individual IRB approval should be approved in each Korean medical institution. But we’re proposing a revision of the relevant laws to the Korean government.

@msuchard
Korean OHDSI data network will start Korean ‘Save Our Sisyphus’ challenge soon.
So far, four tertiary hospitals in Korea have announced their intention to participate as supporters. (spanning from 2005-2015, more than 7 million patients)

We will seek good research questions from Korean researchers. Korean OHDSI data network will provide support through every step of the process, working with the researcher to design an appropriate protocol, implement a network analysis package, execute across supporters, and prepare a manuscript for publication, just as what SOS challenge did.

Korean OHDSI data network is still in its newborn stage. Through this challenge, we will prove that we, Korean OHDSI data network, can stand on our feet. Then, we will walk, run and actively participate in the journey.

I think there will be tremendous difficulties in this challenge. I ask for your help as experienced one.

Thank you,
Chan

1 Like
t