OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Numeric range

When implementing the DemocraticCriteria list of the cohort creation in ohdsi, you may find array for race, gender and ethnicity. For age you just have NumericRange with an operator , value, and extent. However, you may want to have a Numeric Range array instead as you have for race or gender. What about if you want to include patients between 9-18 and also between 35-45 for example. As the age groups are not contiguous, the only way I find is to create two democratic criteria list. Is this correct or I am missing something. Elena

@Elena_Villalon:

Yes, you would build two demographic criteria. The alternative would be to pre-create numeric ranges in the data. But which ones? 9-18? Why not 10-18? 10-21? 9-17?

Not sure if the following information will add to the specific issue being discussed.

Regarding COVID-19:

I like age to be a value, that can categorized in many different ways as needed.

Please refer to COVID-19 Real World Data (RWD) Data Elements Harmonization Project that FDA posted (an heroic effort spearheaded by Mitra Rocca):

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/coronavirus-covid-19-drugs/covid-19-real-world-data-rwd-data-elements-harmonization-project.

The spreadsheet posted at that site lists for “OMOP CDM 5.2 (Validated)” and for OMOP CDM 5.3.1" the following format:

“PERSON.year_of_birth
PERSON.month_of_birth
PERSON.day_of_birth”

and for COVID-19:

“(categorical)
Age at COVID-19 diagnosis
○ 0-9 years
○ 10-19 years
○ 20-29 years
○ 30-39 years
○ 40-49 years
○ 50-59 years”

I wish we would compare age as a continuous value in this effort to harmonize COVID-19 data. It would give us more flexibility and detailed information.

I like the OMOP

“PERSON.year_of_birth
PERSON.month_of_birth
PERSON.day_of_birth”

I am thinking that we will need to have at the COVID-19 FDA site the date when the issue occurred to be able to calculate age at the time of occurrence.

A suggestion for your age category based on age grouping for oncology studies in intensive chemotherapy: 0-28 day, >28 day - 12 month, >12 month - 2 year, 2-5 year, 5-9 yrs, 10-17 yrs, 18-35 yrs, 35-45yrs, 46-59yrs, 60-75 yrs, 75-85 yrs, and > 85yes.

I agree with @Christian_Reich regarding building your age categories as criteria rather than expecting to find them in the CDM (was that the intent of the original posting?). For example, attached is a slide showing 7 different “standard” categorizations for infants and children <21 years old, all “endorsed” by different groups of domain experts.Kahn NCS Terminology Age Categories.pdf (53.8 KB)

Great example! Which is the original source of the slide showing 7 different “standard” categorizations for infants and children <21 years old, all “endorsed” by different groups of domain experts.[Kahn NCS Terminology Age Categories.pdf]

My question was really assume I want to know patients either in the range 10-18 or range 34-44. This is an example the ranges do not matter but are not connected with same border one stop in 18 and the other starts in 34. I think I cannot accomplish it with a NumericRange and I need some patients either in range 10-18 or 34-44. I will need an array of NumericRange[]= [{10-18}, {34-44}] or two different democraticcriteria.

@szarfman Took awhile to get a response from Steven Hirschfeld who was the creator of the slide with 7 different standardized age categories. The citation from Steven that contains the NCS Terminology Age Categories :

Hirschfeld S, Zajicek A. What Could the Future of Safety Monitoring Look Like? Drug Inf J. 2019 Sep;53(5):590–600.

I have something like
Age 9-18
or Age 34-45
or White or Asian
Or Female
I donot mean to make sense as it is an example. The way I figure it out was
Create CriteriaGroups
CriteriaGroup_1=Age 9-18, Race White or Asian, Gender Female
CriteriaGroup_2=Age 34-45, Race White or Asian, Gender Female
Then CriteriaGroup_Array=[CriteriaGroup_1, CriteriaGroup_2]
CriteriaGroup_Panel.groups=CriteriaGroup_Array
CriteriaGroup_Panel.type=“ANY”