OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Multiple standard concepts

Hi all,
I have a question about Non-standard to Standard concepts mappings: how Non-standard concepts that map to multiple Standard concepts (and not just a single one) should be handled? How to pick the right one? From my understanding that shouldn’t ever happen, but it seems that some of the mappings work this way. For example, concept id 45607389 (ICD10CM Condition “Displaced fracture of lateral condyle of left humerus, subsequent encounter for fracture with delayed healing”) maps to 3 different Standard concepts, as you can see from the image below:

Can you give me and my team some help/advice?

Thank you so much.
Alex

Hello, Alex

It is a common question.

You can find answer here: ICD10CM codes map to multiple standard SNOMED codes

Polina Talapova provided some details on the topic

Hi, @aghigi

You may also read about such a way of mapping on OHDSI Wiki and see examples here.

In a few words, if an ICD concept does not have a full semantic equivalent in SNOMED and cannot be mapped via single “Maps to”, it is mapped to several Standard concepts, which, in combination, fully or partially, reflect the meaning of ICD concept from different semantic sides. In the future, this approach will enable us to develop the SNOMED Extension containing full equivalent Standard concepts for those ICD entities, which currently are mapped to multiple SNOMED concepts.

@zhuk, thanks for mentioning!

Thank you so much @zhuk and @Polina_Talapova for your input. So, for the time being, I guess we have to map a single source concept into multiple standard concepts, that means multiple records in the condition_occurrence table that are identical except for the the condition concept id.

Alex

t