OHDSI Home | Forums | Wiki | Github

Medical Emergency/Rapid Response calls and actions

Is there any established way to include medical emergency/rapid response calls and actions in CDM v6?

Hi - can you be more specific? I’ve converted patient care records obtain from pre-hospital emergency medical services (EMS - 911 calls to ambulances and fire/rescue) setting into OMOP 5.2. This used NEMSIS, SNOMED, LOINC, and RxNORM concepts. Some data like “number of sirens” and call/response type went into a custom vocabulary. I do have plans to do the same for OMOP v6 as soon as I get some time.

• MK

I was referring to the MET calls within a hospital when a vital sign abnormalities for a patient in a general ward trigger an emergency response team from ICU to act.

@blanca :

Looks like you are blazing the trail here. Couple of questions:

• How do you intend to analyze these data? What is a typical scientific question? Without it it will be difficult to proceed, because the OMOP CDM works for analytics, not as a general repository of any data that come along (“attic use case”)
  • As a general principle, you encode what happened to the patient. So, signs and symptoms (unresponsive, no heart beat, or whatever else), the diagnosis (cardiac arrest), and the treatment (intubation, CVR, etc.).
  • If the Code Blue call itself is important in your research we could add a MET Visit Concept.
t